Set up front mech to work as double with tripple shifter

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi all,

Just installed a new (well new to me... but infact very 2nd hand!) Ultegra 6500 left shifter. Now I know these are double/triple compatible - so how do I set up the front mech / shifter to work as a double which is what I am running... Does the mech need to be adjusted to work with the new shifter? If so how can that be done? Does the mech need to be setup to work with just the top shift settings working e.g. as a triple but not using the 1st setting?

Any tips?

I had not altered the mech lower/higher setting screws but when I first started testing the new shifter to move the mech I noticed it wants to shift in 2 goes rather than 1... e.g. shift once and the mech moves over nearly to push the chain up to the big ring but not quite enough - shift again and it will push the chain up to the big ring - shifting down works in 1 stage (e.g. 1 shift) - just seems to be that shifting up when pedaling with resistance takes 2 shifts.

Cheers

dubbs.

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    The extra shift is trim, to make sure your chain line is smooth.
    As for setting up the mech, you want to set it up so that the shift down to what would be the inner ring position is redundant, that way you'll be releasing cable if you shift to the unused position, at the other end you'd be trying to snap the cable if you mis-shift. There's nothing else you need to do to the mech.
  • Gozzy wrote:
    The extra shift is trim, to make sure your chain line is smooth.
    As for setting up the mech, you want to set it up so that the shift down to what would be the inner ring position is redundant, that way you'll be releasing cable if you shift to the unused position, at the other end you'd be trying to snap the cable if you mis-shift. There's nothing else you need to do to the mech.

Thanks - I will need to have a play around with it... Seems lots of peeps find the Ultegra left shifters tricky to set up:
    If anyone REALLY understands the proper setup and supposed 'trim' of Ultegra nine- and-ten-speed front shifters, they deserve a Rockefeller Foundation Genius Award. I finally just gave the damn things up in a stuttering rage and switched to Dura Ace, which makes complete sense, setup wise.
    sourced from > http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/ultegra-front-derailleur-shifter-trim-279747.html#post3906366
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 621374.pdf

Service instructions for 6500 series shifters suggest they suit double and triple, but don't make it exactly clear how to set them up. Maybe you can spot the difference?

I have 105 5600 shifters but running a triple chainset so not much help.

Careful though; I remember a spate of broken 5600 LH shifters when used with double chainsets, so it must be possible to set it up and / or use it wrong :shock:

Later versions are double or triple specific, so Shimano obviously recognised there was a problem.
  • gozzy
    There is a difference, it's the same as there is now. 6500 is double, 6503 is triple. If you look the techdoc shows two different operating instructions for the left lever. It also shows 6500 as running 18 and 6503 as 27 gears.
  • Gozzy wrote:
    There is a difference, it's the same as there is now. 6500 is double, 6503 is triple. If you look the techdoc shows two different operating instructions for the left lever. It also shows 6500 as running 18 and 6503 as 27 gears.

Where does it say on the shifter which version it is?
  • keef66 wrote:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Ultegra/SI_6C80D_001/SI_6C80D_001_En_v1_m56577569830621374.pdf

Service instructions for 6500 series shifters suggest they suit double and triple, but don't make it exactly clear how to set them up. Maybe you can spot the difference?

I have 105 5600 shifters but running a triple chainset so not much help.

Careful though; I remember a spate of broken 5600 LH shifters when used with double chainsets, so it must be possible to set it up and / or use it wrong :shock:

Later versions are double or triple specific, so Shimano obviously recognised there was a problem.

Cheers keef66 - My previous one jammed... gear cable still stuck inside it... I wonder if this is connected with it being used on a double rather than a triple... this one seems to want to shift in 2 stages - I know it has some trim as a 2nd shift - but I cant seem to get the shifter to move from inner to big chain ring on the first shift... I need to double shift to move it...
  • OK, its a 6500 left shifter on the bike now, the one that broke was 6501 - I assume the 6501 is the 6500 with flightdeck - so it should be a double shifter then... just seems to want to operate as a triple... need to re set this baby up methinks...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Gozzy wrote:

No. The shifters are ST6510. The left lever will operate either a double front mech FD6500 or a triple FD6503.
  • Just re-set things up - took some tension off the cable and re-set up the limit screws and it seems to be shifting better now - will road test it tomorrow and let you know...
  • gozzy
    keef66 wrote:
    Gozzy wrote:

No. The shifters are ST6510. The left lever will operate either a double front mech FD6500 or a triple FD6503.

I stand corrected. I was reading the FD section as being the two different lever versions.
    So basically, they just released a triple shifter for 6500. Intriguing.
  • Hi all,

Just to let all know - the solution I found here was to slacken the cable when in the small ring to be a bit less - originally I had pulled it farily tight - think this was causing the issues - with a slacker small ring cable tension and some tweaks and tinkering to the adjustment screws all worked perfectly on this mornings chilly 35 miles!

Thanks all for the tips and ideas!