Shining lights into oncoming traffic.

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited November 2013 in Commuting general
It occurred to me that if you shine the lights on your bike at oncoming traffic instead of downwards, it would force drivers to notice you more and maybe even slow down as they drive blindly.

Thoughts?

Comments

• tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    :roll:
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Um - dazzling them so they crash into you?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss wrote:

Nah. If you get dazzled when driving you tend to slow down not veer across 2 lanes into oncoming traffic at the same speed. I got knocked off a few weeks back, the driver said he didn't see me before he pulled out of a junction. If my light was shining directly in his eyes I bet he would have seen me then!
  • Just no.

No.

No.

No.

Dazzle them and they'll just as likely knock someone else off.

And I'm sick of cyclists dazzling me - NOT FREAKING COOL!!!

A good, strong front light will be visible regardless of whether it's pointed in someones face or dipped as required by law - your driver didnt see you because he didnt look or misjudged your speed, dont fall for his excuse and start dazzling people ;)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Bustacapp wrote:
    TommyEss wrote:

Nah. If you get dazzled when driving you tend to slow down not veer across 2 lanes into oncoming traffic at the same speed. I got knocked off a few weeks back, the driver said he didn't see me before he pulled out of a junction. If my light was shining directly in his eyes I bet he would have seen me then!

If a cars coming out of a side road what's to say the light would be shining directly in the drivers eyes anyway? People tend to glance either side. If a front light is flashing its possible the glance corresponds with the off part of the flash. On constant you have more chance to be seen but still best to be taking precautions just in case. Cover the brakes, slow down, move more into the lane if possible, be ready to stop. Sometimes people just don't look (like the woman who drove into me while I was stationary!!!!).
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Have a read about target fixation.

What happens is that the driver will be looking at the light, trying to figure out what it is. They won't be able to readily identify you as a cyclist as they will not be able to make you out behind the light. They will stop concentrating on the things they should normally be concentrating on.

Generally, when you're concentrating hard on something, riding or driving, you tend to subconciously head towards it. Same thing that happens when you see a pothole and ride straight through it. You go where you look.

So it's not that uncommon for a driver to (momentarily, at least) start driving towards something that they cannot identify but that has got their attention.

So don't do it. A flashing light and a fixed light is a much better idea.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Shine a light directly into someone's eyes. Sure. Whilst you're at it, why not have an aerosol horn on continuously whist you ride to ensure that you will be heard, if not actually seen, so drivers can identify your approach?
  • tootsie323 wrote:
    Shine a light directly into someone's eyes. Sure. Whilst you're at it, why not have an aerosol horn on continuously whist you ride to ensure that you will be heard, if not actually seen, so drivers can identify your approach?

I probably would if it were econonomically sound.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Would it be any worse than the many motorbike riders who have their headlights on full beam as they tear down the A2 (and many other main roads) between the lines of traffic. Usually (in my experience) at 10mph faster than the actual speed limit. I'm an ex-biker, would never have ridden like that.

And people complain about cyclists!!