That there Londinium

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Having spent two days walking 3/4 mile through the London Streets (Farringdon Rd to Hatton Gardens) I consider myself an expert on London cycling.

You lot are mental. :shock:

I genuinely saw more cyclists waiting at a junction than I see in a week of my normal commute. They're bloody everywhere. The speed I saw some people getting up to while sailing inside / outside / alongside traffic was really eye-opening, but the one hill I saw opposite the hotel had everyone suddenly slow to a crawl :P

Red light jumping was in fact rather rare, and there were flocks of cyclists sat at lights waiting... the acceleration launching them away from the motorised traffic quite easily. What I was shocked at was the number of people without lights :? I saw one guy remonstrating with a Policeman (motorbike cop) who, when the policeman left, calmly got back on his unlit bike and cycled off.

To be honest, the cyclists were really well behaved given the intensity of the traffic I saw (King Cross / St P junctions were madhouses) and the biggest pain were the motorbikes.

I did confuse a few folks with my polite waves and thank yous though (for slowing / stopping at zebra crossings) :D
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Next time you come down, we'll lend you a spare and you can get on the racetrack. Just be careful, Taxi's have the same mass as a cow but they change direction faster. :shock:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Must have been market day...
  • I was also slightly aghast at some of the nutty manoeuvres being used just so people didn't have to stop or put their foot down, plus a couple of really odd ideas: to turn right you cycle straight over the junction then perform a 90 degree turn at the other side, cutting directly across everyone trying to go straight on.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Next time head SW to Bushy/Richmond park if you haven't nearly collided with 40 stone of pumped up horny deer in a dark park, well sir you haven't lived!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My trip up to see Ugo & CSheep for the MuddyFest(2) was an eye opener - the sheer volume in lycra going around RP no faster than my little niece was astounding ... ;)
  • Underlines how different London is from the rest of the UK.
  • Welcome to the jungle Mr Burns.

That was one of my regular routes for two years up until recently and has always been like a circus there (the hipsters of shoreditch and 'acknay live just down t'road).

If you really want to see some interesting, next time you're down head a mile or two east to Old Street, Columbia Road and Broadway market areas. There you will see stealth riders and RLJers a plenty, a guy riding a penny farthing on Regents Canal towpath :shock: and the strange phenomenon of people cycling whilst wheeling along another bike with one hand (I used to see this almost every other day).
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Ride hard wrote:
    and the strange phenomenon of people cycling whilst wheeling along another bike with one hand (I used to see this almost every other day).

You mean thieves.
  • Hard to tell as most people doing it didn't look like archetypal social deviants (it was young male and female hipster types), but then again, it is Hackney.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    chilling wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    and the strange phenomenon of people cycling whilst wheeling along another bike with one hand (I used to see this almost every other day).

You mean thieves.
    ghost riding is incredibly impressive tbf whether they are thieves or not
  • Haven't seen that in the UK but I saw it a lot in Mallorca. I assumed it was bike hire people moving their bikes around between branches / customer locations. Could have been thieves but you would think they would be better served striking on foot?
  • Ride hard wrote:

Along with the people in lycra wearing a helmet but standing at a bus stop with no bike.

That always made me wonder.... :shock:
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Ride hard wrote:
    the strange phenomenon of people cycling whilst wheeling along another bike with one hand (I used to see this almost every other day).

I do that quite regularly, helps to keep the other bikes fit without them putting on too much weight. Cuts down the time required to keep them fit/hack them out. I sometimes do it with two*

*Note, I might be getting confused with Polo.
    Insert bike here:
  • It IS weird to think that we London cyclists/commuters take all that stuff for granted. Not in the sense that we don't appreciate how mad and dangerous it can be - we forget that at our peril. We do just tend to get on with it though. I had a brief chat with another biker at Tooting High Street last night; the traffic was insane, pedestrians flying everywhere, roadworks narrowing down to one lane southbound - real gridlock stuff. We just looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and said 'Take care mate' and rode off into the moonlight...............
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I forgot to mention, but the comment above about ghost riding reminded me of the very first bike I did see when stepping out of St Pancras was a ghost bike :(

On a lighter note: the wind!

Sweet Mother. At least up here and out in the country if you have wind it comes from one bloody direction. It was like moving along a conveyor belt of little tornadoes! Couple of single speed guys belting along suddenly slowing to a crawl when this vortex shifted and they suddenly went from a 20mph tailwind into this wall of air blowing straight at 'em.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Ride hard wrote:
    the strange phenomenon of people cycling whilst wheeling along another bike with one hand (I used to see this almost every other day).

At the Marmotte this year, around the third to last hairpin on Alpe d'Huez, I saw a guy doing this.

Heading down the Alpe. :shock:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    chilling wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:

You mean thieves.

I did it when I bought a new bike. Cycled there, wheeled t'other back
  • On a lighter note: the wind!

Sweet Mother. At least up here and out in the country if you have wind it comes from one bloody direction.
    Never cycled in the Lakes then. :mrgreen: I can do a 40 mile loop and be into a headwind the whole way, or so it feels. I've been blown to a stop going DOWN a 20% hill seconds after getting a hefty shove from a tailwind.
  • Meant to post a link to this:
    Met Commissioner 'would not cycle' in London
    Well, maybe if you tried it you'd understand what needs doing to make it safer!
  • Guanajuato wrote:

Sweet Mother. At least up here and out in the country if you have wind it comes from one bloody direction.
    Never cycled in the Lakes then. :mrgreen: I can do a 40 mile loop and be into a headwind the whole way, or so it feels. I've been blown to a stop going DOWN a 20% hill seconds after getting a hefty shove from a tailwind.

Done similar... I remember one fateful ride where I did 30 miles into the headwind and the bloody depression shifted past as I got to the turn around point... 30 miles back into the same headwind.

However, this was happening within feet - it was the air swirling between the buildings. If you went from a clear areas (post office lorry area) to the 3 storey buildings next to it...

Cool skyline from the office in Hatton Place- St Pauls framing The Shard
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    <Leans out of window and waves>
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    edited November 2013
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    It IS weird to think that we London cyclists/commuters take all that stuff for granted. Not in the sense that we don't appreciate how mad and dangerous it can be - we forget that at our peril. We do just tend to get on with it though. I had a brief chat with another biker at Tooting High Street last night; the traffic was insane, pedestrians flying everywhere, roadworks narrowing down to one lane southbound - real gridlock stuff. We just looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and said 'Take care mate' and rode off into the moonlight...............

I pulled up at a set of traffic lights yesterday just past south wimbledon and stopped behind a guy on a Wilier. you dont see too many of those around and he had a matching brand jacket too although rather incongruously he also had non cycling trousers tucked into socks.

He felt my presence (ooh err missus) and turned around. Alright mate? i said. Yes he replied and then added 'where am i?'

You are heading towards Morden I replied, where do you want to go? to which the strange answer he gave was 'anywhere'.

Well, you are heading in the right direction then!

to KB, welcome to the big smoke. you should have at least grabbed a Boris bike and chanced yer arm. Cycle in Lahndahhhhnnn for a while and you will find yourself redefining the notion of a close pass.
    FCN = 4
  • Guanajuato wrote:

Done similar... I remember one fateful ride where I did 30 miles into the headwind and the bloody depression shifted past as I got to the turn around point... 30 miles back into the same headwind.

However, this was happening within feet - it was the air swirling between the buildings. If you went from a clear areas (post office lorry area) to the 3 storey buildings next to it...

And you guys call us southern softies. Now you see what we have to deal with.
  • Guanajuato wrote:
    Meant to post a link to this:
    Met Commissioner 'would not cycle' in London
    Well, maybe if you tried it you'd understand what needs doing to make it safer!

Although those below him generally except he is a complete bellend who knows little ablout little.
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    to KB, welcome to the big smoke. you should have at least grabbed a Boris bike and chanced yer arm. Cycle in Lahndahhhhnnn for a while and you will find yourself redefining the notion of a close pass.

Oh I think I know all about them:

http://youtu.be/V9a_D-B6hFw

Only when you're in the countryside they're generally doing over 50....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    I pulled up at a set of traffic lights yesterday just past south wimbledon and stopped behind a guy on a Wilier. you dont see too many of those around and he had a matching brand jacket too although rather incongruously he also had non cycling trousers tucked into socks.

He felt my presence (ooh err missus) and turned around. Alright mate? i said. Yes he replied and then added 'where am i?'

You are heading towards Morden I replied, where do you want to go? to which the strange answer he gave was 'anywhere'.

Well, you are heading in the right direction then!

Aha - the myth of the 'Wandering Wilier'! I'll look out for him tonight - he may still be out there on his way to 'anywhere'.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Oh I think I know all about them:

http://youtu.be/V9a_D-B6hFw

Only when you're in the countryside they're generally doing over 50....

Did you get anywhere with the complaint? That was a bit too close :-|
  • Ride hard wrote:
    Guanajuato wrote:

And you guys call us southern softies. Now you see what we have to deal with.
    Get down to Canary Wharf: open waterfront and tall box buildings tunneling the wind like nothing I've ever seen.
    I remember once put a foot off from my line by on gust.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Indeed. It's great sport out accelerating the trendy hipsters on their fixies with a Boris Bike! :lol:

Underlines how slow the cycling is in London. Even on the Embankment it's easy enough to keep up with the cycle traffic on a Boris bike. It's fun a few times a year but it would drive me nuts on a regular basis.
    Faster than a tent.......