Any other Fat Bike riders on here

TheJohnClimber
TheJohnClimber Posts: 154
edited January 2014 in MTB general
Before you jump on here and think it's funny to say I've a Bike and I'm Fat, it's not funny any more now that Fat Bikes are becoming more popular ;-)

Anyway, I'm leading a Fat Bike* ride around the beaches and sand dunes of Merseyside on Sunday 24th November from 10am, we've 12 to 15 riders signed up already if you want to join in please let me know.
Ride will be 20 or 30 miles long depending on where you want to start as there are 2 options.

* Fat Bike is a bike with front and back tyres 3.8" of wider

10516659586_7b344579b6_z.jpg

10509541376_525585b8eb_z.jpg

9580817325_90686b53c1_z.jpg

Comments

• Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    I know this is off topic.. but what are they like to ride.. ive seen a few in shops.. but walked away with a stupid grin on my face lol!!
  • I really want to have a go on the On One fatty, looks like fun!
  • Dawesy92 - If you've seen one in the shop test ride it

The Northern Monkey - There are plenty around now on the trails, or nip to the On One shop for a test tide

Just remember IMHO - the classic looking double triangle framed Fat Bikes are for longer rides, beach riding and touring. The On One Fatty (as a stock bike) is an out and out Trail bike, perfect for hills, single track and trail centres, but not for beaches or touring
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    I know this is off topic.. but what are they like to ride.. ive seen a few in shops.. but walked away with a stupid grin on my face lol!!

That's what I keep thinking, are they really heavy and slow ?
  • Kajjal wrote:
    That's what I keep thinking, are they really heavy and slow ?

Are they slow?

7983800988_6612cc9f11_z.jpg

This is a shot of me on the 2012 Isle of Man End 2 end race where I finished in 59th out of the 1150 finished who finished before the 7 hour cut off and just 51 minutes down on the elite winner.

Wanna race?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Great photo :)

I was thinking more of uphill riding ;)
  • Kajjal wrote:
    Great photo :)

I was thinking more of uphill riding ;)

With low pressures, around 8 or 9psi they tyres grip and climb stuff you can't on most other bikes.

A shot from todays local beach ride

10996655016_bf7cd53070_z.jpg
  • Dawesy92
    8-9psi... thats mad!!!
  • One ride needed to leave a little before this shot.

9 riders out today

11033836184_1f88d6215e_c.jpg
  • Any fat bikers on the forum ?

Just ordered myself an On One ''Fatty'' for a bit of winter fun as no doubt as per normal we''ll get 6 months of winter :?

Over on mtbr forums it wont let me register (just get 404 forbidden, despite repeated attempts) and the UK fat bike forum hasn't yet approved my account.

Any other good resources anyone knows of ?

Cheers
    Paul
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How insulting.
    I consider myself a slightly tubby biker.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Try here Paul:
    viewtopic.php?f=10014&t=12946830&p=18630882&

cooldad wrote:
    How insulting.

B'dum tssssss! :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Nice one, so there are a few others lurking out there.... just need access to the UK forum yay lol
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    How insulting.
    We consider you more than that......... :D
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Any fat bikers on the forum ?
    and the UK fat bike forum hasn't yet approved my account
    Any other good resources anyone knows of ?

Hi Paul

I'll email the admin who lets people in to UK fat bike and the spam bots out, I know he's been busy.

Did you use the name Grisley Paul?

When you're on the forum please introduce yourself and join in.

From yesterdays ride
    11033808174_8cb93063fb_c.jpg

USA Fat Bikes forum here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I will be considering one for next winter in Whistler - love to still get some rides in once the snow starts in the valley.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Cheers John,

No I didn't use Grisley Paul.... I used ''clarkep''

Great piccie, would love a bit of beach action with my fatty lol

Cheers
    Paul
  • Dawesy92
    They look amazing haha!!
  • I'll ask admin to let clarkep in.

Give me 24 hours.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    They've got three Surleys in my LBS. The wheel & tyre feels much lighter than I was expecting it to.
  • They've got three Surleys in my LBS. The wheel & tyre feels much lighter than I was expecting it to.

LBS's cheat they fill them full of helium to help them sell :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I thought of doing that too. :lol:
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    I did read that specialized and one of the other big players were introducing a fat bike to their line ups, which would be interesting. I have an interest but and would like to try one but not sure I'd have one as an only bike.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I had a spin on a Moonlander in a carpark - what amazed me was how relatively easy it was to get rolling and once it was rolling how it just seemed to want to keep going! Would love to try one on a trail.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The specialized fat bike is called the ''fatboy''..... short vid on youtube if interested
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's also 29plus, a semi-fat bike pioneered by the Surly Krampus which is a 29er which runs 29x3" Surly Knards on 50mm wide rims. Had myself a custom titanium frame built to take the wheels:
    kGFN8cml.jpg
    You don't quite get the full-float fat bike experience, but the lighter, big wheels roll way quicker than you'd first believe - it downhills as fast as a full-susser and leaves them for dust on steep climbs and the big round tyres means you can lean it into berms at ridiculous angles - it's pretty handy for singletrack for such a big beast. I run the tyres at 8/10psi tubeless which really helps with grip in soft conditions and tames rooty, rocky stuff. Best of all, it's simply a blast to ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Monty, thats got a "Monster Truck" look to it. Awsome !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Monty Dog
    RDB66 wrote:
    Monty, thats got a "Monster Truck" look to it. Awsome !!

Rides like one too! Rolls over drop-offs, big greasy roots, rock gardens and flights of steps with ease. Rode a 4 hour enduro, there was a drop-off into a wide ditch for 20 metres with a 45 degree bank on one side - got caught in the back-markers for the 2 hour race - simply rode along the side of the bank, others tried to follow and slipped into the ditch 8)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like that but does it not toe overlap? Looks tight as a tight thing...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Monty Dog
    No toe overlap - custom frame and I know my front-centre.