Help with brakes please

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited November 2013 in Road general
I just bought a Boardman CX bike for some winter riding and I put it together and found the from disc brake (Tektro Lyra mechanical disc brakes, 160mm) are catching on the front brake calliper.

So I took it up to my local Halfords and the guy spent over an hour trying all sorts of adjustments to get rid if the catching, and one of his colleges came in and he asked for his advise. " oh they always do that, after a while they will settle down"

Do you think this will be the case? It appears that the disc is catching on the outer edge of the disc.

To be honest the guy was excellent and wanted to help and tried everything including filling a bit of the pads down but appears he was beaten.

Any advise appreciated

flyer

Comments

• disk isn't slightly off centre ? or warped? could happen.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    not familiar with that bike/brakes

fitting disc calipers needs some skill/practice, assuming the disc isn't bent and the wheel is fully seated in the dropouts, it really sounds like they're not fitted/aligned correctly
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • flyer
    Would you say that the guy who was adjusting it just didn't have enough experience, ie I should try another LBS.

Cheers
  • The posts might need facing. Also if you search for tektro Lyra they seem to have setup issues
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Is it a rhythmic catching or a constant dragging?
  • flyer
    kwi wrote:
    Is it a rhythmic catching or a constant dragging?

Hi

It appears to be a constant dragging

Cheers
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    Then spankwilder more than likely has it, the mounts may need faced, but without actually seeing the bike it's difficult to pin it down.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I've found with the Lyras on my Croix de Fer that you need quite careful caliper positioning. What works for me is to adjust cable tension until the pads are dragging quite heavily with the lever untouched; then slacken off the caliper mounting bolts and pull the brake lever hard to - this will center the caliper over the disc; tighten the caliper bolts, then slacken the cable until the wheel runs free. You should get a firm lever feel and no drag. This won't last long - I have to adjust (following this method) every couple of weeks to allow for pad wear (that's based on a 100k a week of North to Central London commuting, so a lot of braking). The brakes are still intermittently quite noisy; I think that's a Lyra "feature". You can fix it with brake cleaner for about 10 minutes, but it's obviously not worth the candle.
  • Your brakes should not be rubbing. Take it back to Halfords, it's up to them to sort it out
  • flyer
    964Cup wrote:
    I've found with the Lyras on my Croix de Fer that you need quite careful caliper positioning. What works for me is to adjust cable tension until the pads are dragging quite heavily with the lever untouched; then slacken off the caliper mounting bolts and pull the brake lever hard to - this will center the caliper over the disc; tighten the caliper bolts, then slacken the cable until the wheel runs free. You should get a firm lever feel and no drag. This won't last long - I have to adjust (following this method) every couple of weeks to allow for pad wear (that's based on a 100k a week of North to Central London commuting, so a lot of braking). The brakes are still intermittently quite noisy; I think that's a Lyra "feature". You can fix it with brake cleaner for about 10 minutes, but it's obviously not worth the candle.
    Thanks got the tips, if all else fails I will ask Halfords to try your suggestion

Thanks again
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    plodski wrote:
    Your brakes should not be rubbing. Take it back to Halfords, it's up to them to sort it out

This is the right thing to do. No reason why they should be rubbing.