Hope pro3 hubs with alpha 400 rims

Action Jackson
Action Jackson Posts: 59
edited November 2013 in Road general
My question is, does anyone use them or have experience on them and are they any good for a wheelset??
Looking to getting into racing next year and weigh around 70kg.

Thanks

Comments

• the PRO 3 has now been superseded by the Mono RS hub, that takes 11 speed. Not sure I would buy the PRO 3, unless they are heavily discounted and you are 100% sure you're not upgrading to 11 speed
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'd be interested to hear about the Alpha 400s as well.

I've been eying up the Alpha 400s as well, but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of info about. As I understand it, the 340 was nice and light, but too flexy, I believe that the aim of the 400 was to address this; certainly the internal structure looks like it should go some way to addressing the flex.

I'm sure that the wheel-Meisters will be along in a minute and Ugo usually has good advice.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I run these wheel/hub setup on the winter bike. Fantastic wheel, strong, and light for a winter wheel (1550grams). As you would expect, the hope hubs are great, go on forever. Fast as well, roll really well. Rim is also tubeless ready if you want to go down that route. The only negative I can say about them is the tyres can be tight to get on.
  • Collers23 wrote:
    The only negative I can say about them is the tyres can be tight to get on.

It's the Achilles heel of tubeless rims...

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... ake-matter
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Also look at the Pacenti SL23 - very nice rims from all accounts. Hope are great MTB hubs but probably overkill for road use.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    the PRO 3 has now been superseded by the Mono RS hub, that takes 11 speed. Not sure I would buy the PRO 3, unless they are heavily discounted and you are 100% sure you're not upgrading to 11 speed

The PRO 3 are nice though. And who would want to downgrade to 11 speed anyhooo.
    Yellow is the new Black.