Best 'no-rain' type bibtights?

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Quite keen to get a pair of bibs with more water resistance than some of my current longs.

Castelli Nanoflex or Sportful No-Rain both get good reviews but a few reviewers have said that the water shedding quickly wears off after a few washes. Does anyone have first hand experience of these type of bibs and how long they perform well for? Any other alternatives?

Appreciate any experiences please.
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    These:

http://www.enduraequipe.com/products/legwear/thermo_windshield_biblongs.aspx

They have waterproof panels where they count. Excellent longs, served me well last winter.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Sportful and Castelli are the same company. I have some Fluido Nanoflex - they are superb. After a few washes the water-repellency of the fabric wears-off like all treatments (can be re-treated), but the windproof panels continue to do their job. The problem with some tights of this type is that can be too restrictive / clammy - the one area where some miss out is a water-resistant panel on your backside.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Monty Dog wrote:
    FWIW Sportful and Castelli are the same company. I have some Fluido Nanoflex - they are superb. After a few washes the water-repellency of the fabric wears-off like all treatments (can be re-treated), but the windproof panels continue to do their job. The problem with some tights of this type is that can be too restrictive / clammy - the one area where some miss out is a water-resistant panel on your backside.

I've been searching for these since you mentioned them earlier this year. Looking at Castelli's site they don't seem to do them anymore?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • bigpikle
    I know Sportful & Castelli are the same co but I'm not sure these are the same fabric or coatings in both are they? Its a shame the finish wears off after a few washes as that effectively makes them a bit worthless, as I could imagine wearing these every week once autumn/winter arrives again and I'd like them to still be shedding water after Xmas...

I might look a little differently then and perhaps consider the Gore tights where the weather resistance is the fabric rather than a coating. Pricey but they get good reviews.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can reproof kit - using Nikwash. So I reckon you could make any bibtights water resistant. They'd all soak thru in heavier rain though. For me the legs arent so much the problem - they're being used and are warm anyway. Keep the core warm and you should be ok.
  • Giordana G-Shield bib tights can be picked up quite cheap at the moment. Giordana use Aquazero - it's the same black water repellent fabric, but Sportful and Castelli call it Nanoflex while Santini, Giordana, Vermarc and a few others call it Aquazero. The pad in the G-Shield bibs is the same one used in the top-end Forma Red bib shorts that Lotto and OPQ use. So you get boss bum comfort and dry legs – while Castelli give you a pretty base level pad.
  • On one of the other commonly read websites has a nano flex owner who said:
    I've found no issues with repeated washings on a delicates setting.

Additionally, a very light iron with the lowest setting refreshes the water repellency.

Mine haven't lost their ability to bead & shed yet but I will be trying this come the time...
  • bigpikle
    well I ended up with some Castelli Sorpasso Windstopper and am very happy. Definitely a bit warmer and the windproof panel ont he legs has been very effective in rain as well. Expensive but I'm worth it ;)