Cannondale SuperSix 5 105 2012 - Cracked Chainstay or not?

olawrence01
olawrence01 Posts: 29
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
Hello All.

A few weeks back I'd posted on here seeking advice on frame sizing. Your comments were so helpful I've been coming back for even more advice and reading lots from others.

Since purchasing the SuperSix 105 2012 a few days, and hence no chance to take her out yet, I've noticed something strange on my chain stay running parallel to my chain.

It had caught by eye, as it initially looked like a major crack. However, it's perfect symmetry and position alongside the chain seems it may be an overlay of carbon to stop chain wear?

I'm going to pop it into the LBS at the weekend, but also need a sanity check as I'm left slightly confused.

Would you guys think this to be a chainstay protector?

Running my finger along the crack it is raised, which again leads me to believe it's a protector.

Anyone out there with the same bike that could comment? Or anyone that knows this well?

Comments

• davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    Certainly looks like a chainstay protector to me.

• Would you guys think this to be a chainstay protector?

Yes
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    DaveM399 wrote:
    Certainly looks like a chainstay protector to me.

And me.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • Get a hairdryer out and see if you can peel it off.

That should settle it one way or another.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Chainstay protector, it's there for a reason.
  • Thanks All

You've all done well to confirm my suspicions.

I just wanted to make sure that this has been seen by others as I'm still waiting for a time to pop into the LBS to see the boys in there.

I'm used to protectors but not ones that are matched into the paintwork so it made it hard to determine.

I suppose after all this would be a very strange and hugely pronounced crack considering I've not taken it out yet.

Thanks again
  • Matched into the paintwork? It's a clear bit of plastic you goof!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's copter tape or something along those lines.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Matched into the paintwork? It's a clear bit of plastic you goof!

Not too sure about that. Where the protector overlaps with the frame you can see it tries to bring the paintwork in line.

If it were clear tape I may not have even asked this question.

Thanks for the help though.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's not a crack.

It's a chainstay protector.

It's made from clear material.

Please don't go into your LBS with this one.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    It's not a crack.

It's a chainstay protector.

It's made from clear material.

Please don't go into your LBS with this one.

I wasn't going to make the trip especially for it, I was going to cycle passed it.

Thanks for the advice though.

All's well that ends well.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    And not a single 'lol' let alone a much deserved 'roflmao' for this thread?!

Folk on here are getting soft!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    What about the 'crack' on the other chainstay that has manifested itself as the word 'Cannondale'? - no wonder that years ago they traded under the name of 'crack and fail' :lol:

Priceless!
  • Rolf F wrote:

On top of that the dork disk has gone unnoticed! :shock:
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

That's just a frisbee that got stuck in the spokes after a ride out one day.
  • nochekmate wrote:
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

That's just a frisbee that got stuck in the spokes after a ride out one day.

I hope you're joking? I got that free in my Coco Pops this morning.

Dork Disks are back in. 2014 eveyone will have them. You just watch....
  • Hello All.

A few weeks back I'd posted on here seeking advice on frame sizing. Your comments were so helpful I've been coming back for even more advice and reading lots from others.

Since purchasing the SuperSix 105 2012 a few days, and hence no chance to take her out yet, I've noticed something strange on my chain stay running parallel to my chain.

It had caught by eye, as it initially looked like a major crack. However, it's perfect symmetry and position alongside the chain seems it may be an overlay of carbon to stop chain wear?

I'm going to pop it into the LBS at the weekend, but also need a sanity check as I'm left slightly confused.

Would you guys think this to be a chainstay protector?

Running my finger along the crack it is raised, which again leads me to believe it's a protector.

Anyone out there with the same bike that could comment? Or anyone that knows this well?
    chainstay protector....exactly the same on mine.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Am....am....am I dreaming this?
  • Bozman
    This is a beginners section, it may be obvious to the majority but we've all missed the obvious at sometime(probably not posted it though), just give the guy a break and stop confirming the roadie attitude tag.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bozman wrote:
    This is a beginners section, it may be obvious to the majority but we've all missed the obvious at sometime(probably not posted it though), just give the guy a break and stop confirming the roadie attitude tag.
    If the OP can get the joke then perhaps you should as well :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bozman
    Rolf F wrote:
    Bozman wrote:
    If the OP can get the joke then perhaps you should as well :wink:

I get it but... there is an attitude and there are a few c**** that take pleasure in demeaning folk. :wink:

Not aimed at you but you must know where I'm coming from.