New Chain Slipping????????

SkidMerckx
SkidMerckx Posts: 72
edited November 2013 in Workshop
I have just fitted a KMC 10 speed chain to my FSA Gossamer Triple/105 setup (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x10-l-silve ... eed-chain/), having been recommended this chain by Wiggle for a Triple chain-set. However, having fitted this yesterday and having set it up on my bike stand with no issues, I set of on my morning commute only for the chain to slip (not derail but slip?) on the front rings (which is something I have never experienced before?).
As I said above the chain-set is a 10 speed triple (105 with a FSA Gossamer Crank set) and whilst I do not believe that the front chain rings are worn, the fact that this slip also occurs on the granny ring (which seldom gets used and is defiantly NOT worn) leads me to believe that this chain is not the correct one? Can anyone offer any advice on whether or not this chain is suitable, if it is not what else might be – or have I just missed/done something stupid when installing, as I am at a loss.

Comments

• The chain may have a stiff link somewhere, that can make them skip.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nothing wrong with that chain for a 10 speed triple. (guessing it's a KMC X10-L from your partial link)

You sure it's slipping on the chainrings and not on the cassette?

Very common to replace a chain only to find it skips forwards on the most frequently used sprockets, especially when starting off, standing to climb or powering into a sprint. It's usually because the chain wasn't replaced soon enough and the cassette is worn. It's nearly impossible to see the wear, even comparing with a brand new cassette, but a new cassette usually sorts it.

Chainrings would have to be pretty badly worn before the chain will skip at the front.
  • Certainly felt like it was the chain rings and not the cassette, but it was dark this morning when I set off and I couldn’t recreate it off the bike. Will get my son to watch tonight, when I put the power down to check it’s the cassette. As you say this seems most likely as I have never experienced a slip at the front (a skip yes, but slipping no), even on some pretty shoddily maintained bikes as a kid :)
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    I presume chain isn't too long, i.e. you took a few links out to shorten the chain to match your old chain length or by just looking how the chain fitted when on?!
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    keef66 wrote:

Very common to replace a chain only to find it skips forwards on the most frequently used sprockets, especially when starting off, standing to climb or powering into a sprint. It's usually because the chain wasn't replaced soon enough and the cassette is worn. It's nearly impossible to see the wear, even comparing with a brand new cassette, but a new cassette usually sorts it.

This ^^^
    I did exactly the same thing earlier this year - bought a new chain only to find it skipping and slipping really badly the first time I rode the bike. Fitted a new cassette and it is perfect now.

cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Thanks guy’s, I have purchased a new 105 cassette and will fit this at the weekend, as this seems to be the most likely cause of the slipping (even though it sure felt like the chain was slipping at the front!).
  • Just an update for all the guy’s that gave me advice. I changed the cassette on my bike at the weekend and whilst this stopped the chain slipping on the outer and the granny ring, it still slipped on the middle ring! After a long search for new outer and middle chain rings (Wiggle’s recommendations coming to just under £80.00), I have bought a whole new crank (105 triple) for £105.50 from Chain Reaction. Hopefully, with a completely new drive train, this will put me back on the road without further problems.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Thanks for posting. Always nice to find out what happened. Sounds like the middle chainring was worn too!

Do you have a decent ruler or chain checking tool so you can keep a regular eye on chain wear? I've found that 10 speed chains wear a lot faster then the 8 speed stuff I'd previously been used to.