700c Disc Wheel Build for Commuting

jonnyboy77
jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
I've previously bought cheap wheels from bike24/rosebikes for my commuter bike (Ridgeback hybrid with hydraulic disc brakes) but both rear wheels have been trashed in a relatively short space of time. The bike has covered about 3000km, each wheel probably lasting ~1500km (the current one is ready for the bin now). Its not just that they went out of true, the first one actually flat spotted the rim, and both have eaten their hubs. The current one might just need truing and a new hub (it makes some horrible sounds when you spin it).

These wheels are Shimano M525 disc hubs laced with no name spokes to Mach1 rims, and cost about £50 each. But I'm getting a little fed up with replacing them every year or so (and I should probably be replacing/repairing them sooner, rather than putting up with them).

Anyway I reached out to my LBS to ask for their suggestions, and got the following options that they would build for me:

£400 - Mavic Open Pro 36h / Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs / DT Swiss Comp. Spokes
or
£300 Halo Aero Warrior 36h / Halo Spin Doctor Hubs / DT Swiss Comp. Spokes

Before I leap into this having never bought hand built wheels before, I wanted to know if any of you had prior experience, views on these options, any other relevant input (!). One concern is that the bike itself was built on a budget of about £500 so these wheel options will be a big leap in cost.

Thanks

Jon
Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Paging Ugo.....

I had a pair built by CRC.

XT Hubs, mavic CXP22 rims and DT Swiss Comp Spokes. <£150
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    My Campag Khamisns (cost normally about £115) have just worn out the hub and wheel bearings after probably 13000 miles. I replaced the bearings at a cost of £17 or so. So your wheel life is truely dire. And the M525 hubs should not be shot by any stretch - but they do need regreasing a bit regularly. TBH, I'd assume that is all they need for now - but if they don't sound happy, it is an urgent need. You just need cone spanners and a Youtube video plus some grease.

Really, if you are wearing out M525s in 1500km, then spending £300 or £400 on new wheels will be a waste of money as you will wreck those just as quickly. The only gain from new wheels (aside from weight) is likely to be if you buy new wheels with sealed bearings then there is no significant risk that you will wreck the hub itself though neglect because the bearing wear is self contained - you can carry on riding them with noisy bearings without fear that you will ruin the hub bearing surface.

I'd budget £150-£200 for new wheels for a £500 bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I reckon I've had my Ugo built Archetypes ALMOST a year. About a week or so shy. Must have done 4-5000 miles through every sort of condition and surface including off road on 25c tyres!

Still utterly smooth, brilliant, true, amazing. Just get Ugo to build you some.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    You just need cone spanners and a Youtube video plus some grease.

Its not just the hubs, the rear rims have suffered too. I also struggle to find the time for that level of bike maintenance, family tends to take precedence over any lengthy bike maintenance these days.

I think some of the damage to the wheels is my rough handling of the bike, possibly combined with a good amount of gravel riding on 700x28 tyres and the general lack of maintenance outside of the drivetrain (chain/cogs/derailleur).

Some useful feedback from everyone though, as usual! I'm not familiar with Ugo ... but sounds like a key contact!

Thanks

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Your shop advice is not a bad one, but 36 spokes are really OTT if you don't weigh 16 stone.
    Also, Open PRO are nice rims and the CD ones do look good on a disc build, but a 23 mm wide rim will give you more options in terms of tyres, if your bike can take gib knobblies.
    These days I pretty much only build H plus Son Archetype rims, as they seem to tick all the boxes.
    The Novatec 711/712 hubs also are a hit, half the price of Hope PRO 2 and similar quality. The seals on the rear hub are not as good, but bearings seem to be fairly durable anyway. Maintenance on the Novatec is a lot easier than it is on the Hope hubs too.
    As you are a local boy, if you want to give me a shout, I can show you the wheels I have on my disc fitted bike, which I think are brilliant
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Another vote for Ugo, and he's local to you. Very pleased with my wheels. I had to have the rear rim replaced, but that was because a car hit my back wheel so nothing to do with the wheel. Mine are Novatec hubs with Open Pro rims. If you're in a hurry you may not be able to wait for Novatec hubs, but Ugo will suggest alternatives.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    If you're in a hurry you may not be able to wait for Novatec hubs, but Ugo will suggest alternatives.

Well, now there is a UK based business that sell them on Ebay for similar money to the Taiwanese guys
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    edited November 2013
    Commuter hybrid bike? Shirley dyno front hub!

(Edit - omitted H word)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've used 32h Open Pros and Ambrosio Excellights (which are pretty similar) for commuting, and they last until the rim wears down from braking, which is probably 10-15,000 miles. I've also used them for 'cross without any issues. Over the time I've used them I've been anywhere between 87 and 95kg.

New commuting bike (based on a CX frame with disc brakes) is going to have 32h Excellights on Novatec D711/D712 hubs, and I'm hoping they'll last almost indefinitely. I've been using these hubs for 'cross this year, and am pretty happy with them so far; the seals seem to work well, but if they don't the bearings are cheap and easy to replace.

Assuming you don't want to build yourself, Ugo has a good reputation, sounds like his prices are very reasonable, and is local to you.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Your shop advice is not a bad one, but 36 spokes are really OTT if you don't weigh 16 stone.
    Also, Open PRO are nice rims and the CD ones do look good on a disc build, but a 23 mm wide rim will give you more options in terms of tyres, if your bike can take gib knobblies.
    These days I pretty much only build H plus Son Archetype rims, as they seem to tick all the boxes.
    The Novatec 711/712 hubs also are a hit, half the price of Hope PRO 2 and similar quality. The seals on the rear hub are not as good, but bearings seem to be fairly durable anyway. Maintenance on the Novatec is a lot easier than it is on the Hope hubs too.
    As you are a local boy, if you want to give me a shout, I can show you the wheels I have on my disc fitted bike, which I think are brilliant

Ugo ... I like the looks of these: http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/med ... C_1857.JPG which I think is what you're referring to?

Size wise, I am generally running 700x28c Continental Gatorskin/GP4S, but only due to the size of the rim I ended up buying which is limited to 28mm width. My road bike runs 700x23c and I'm keen to try a narrower tyre on the commuter bike.

I tip the scales at 75kg, so it sounds likes 32h would be fine.

I'll drop you an email and see what we can work out.

Thanks!

Jon
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Considering where you live, there is no need to go anywhere other than Ugo. He's local, his prices are better than any shop in the area and he builds very very good wheels. He's also a really nice guy.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Do you do 26 inch wheels for a slick mtb whose hubs and rims have seen better days - not been replaced since new in '98

@Ugo that is...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Do you do 26 inch wheels for a slick mtb whose hubs and rims have seen better days - not been replaced since new in '98

@Ugo that is...

Yeah, sure
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Do you do 26 inch wheels for a slick mtb whose hubs and rims have seen better days - not been replaced since new in '98

@Ugo that is...

Yeah, sure

splitter :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Got the Mavic Open Pro CD rims, laced to Hope CX disc hubs as my commuting wheels. I've had them for just over a year, they've done 4,500 miles in that time and have required zero maintenance. The CDs are more expensive but the treated rim looks much less like a brake track which suits the disc nature. The Hope hubs aren't cheap but have user replaceable cartridge bearings, when the time comes, and are anodised in a lovely blue finish. Originally I wasn't too happy that I was spending £400+ on commuting wheels when you can get Mavic Aksiums for under half that, but they look the nuts and I've not worn out the rims in a year so I'm sold!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.