Revolights

Gallywomack
Gallywomack Posts: 823
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Saw someone rocking these on the way home tonight. By 'eck they look cool. The rear one even flashed when he braked! Not sure if they'd be fully visible with full 'guards mind, or indeed if they'd fit under the stays.

Then had a wannabe with those blue valve lights try to take me on...fuelled by contempt for his inferior choice of wheel light I made sure I stayed in front, although traffic wouldn't allow me to completely snap the elastic.

Anyway, thoughts - yay or nay? They're the best 'alternative' light system thingy I've seen so far. Had a chat and a look at some lights and they are effectively extra rims with LEDs dotted around the circumference. They attach to the spokes/each other and sit a little way out from the actual rims. Not sure how the flashing thing works. I won't post the website lest y'all think I'm a paid shill, but easy to google.

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I think "look cool" is about the only positive. Expensive, compromised design*, extra electronics to break, weight on the rim. If you want increased side-on visibility, and want it battery-powered, get a set of monkeylectrics & save ££££?

* need to project from the rim to cast light fore & aft, but can't be too wide, due to forks & stays, so minimal aperture width/reflector shape.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'd be most concerned about the extra weight on the rim.

They do look cool though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Yeah I'm not going to be getting a set as looking cool is not enough to justify the expense. But I was impressed by how visible they were - you could certainly use them as your only lights, in town at least.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    There are a couple of guys with them on my route.

Whilst I agree they look cool, are they really better than a good Cateye or two around the seat post?

I mean you have to attract the attention of the drivers of cars, lorries and buses. IMHO, the seat post mounted Cateye is better at doing this.

I would also imagine they are very complex and potentially easy to damage, knock off out of adjustment etc.
  • saw one earlier this year...really gets you noticed!!

mega cool but too expensive for me...and I think they might be a pain to set up/keep working properly? would be a pain to clean after a wet ride I would imagine and also I wonder how long the battery lasts?

still want one though ;)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    They get you noticed because they're different ...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Slowbike wrote:
    Until they don't because they're not.

I'd like to see one in action and try it for myself before I firm up my opinion, but so far, I'm a nay-sayer.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • There's a cheap similar version in Halfords at the moment. Clips on the spokes and then draws pretty pictures. £20 for a 700c version I think. Looks interesting and worth a shout.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Until they don't because they're not.

That was my un-written meaning - yes ... like Hi Vis jackets and lights on everything that moves and orange flashing lights for all vehicles that aren't cars ...
  • at the price they are...they'll remain 'different' for quite some time...