Fat bikes

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Unless you live in the arctic or on a beach what would be the reason for a fat bike?
They look like they must be heavy and really drag.

Comments

• I Imagine taking one dh would be fun \scary though, would spice up a normal trail ride aswell.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I live on the coast and would happily have one to blast round the dunes, although I couldn't justify buying one myself.

If you live somewhere landlocked then they might not be the ideal bike.

I think they're meant to ride a lot better than how they look might suggest though.

MBUK 287 had a feature on them.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Presumptions... People always presume.
  • I'm going to try some single track with mine soon, I do like the mechanical simplicity though, it's like having a very short travel mountain bike but with no shocks or bearings to maintain. And the traction is ungodly.

That said, I live in Norway and don't enjoy cross country skiing so it is really to get me into the great outdoors during the snow months. So I'm probably not the target of this question.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I just realised I posted this in the wrong forum, my mistake.
    I was just curious, they just look like they will be wrong for most things but what's most efficient isn't always most fun.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A few friends ride fat fronted while 2 have full fats, they give a really smooth ride, with some careful build the weight isn't too bad but they will always be heavy, I've had a quick spin and while not for me, the effortless roll over anything feel is quite addictive.

OK one ticks a lot of stereotype boxes all on one bike, fat front, 29er rear single speed on a Jones frame......he even used to have a beard!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.