Track clincher wheelset

poppit
poppit Posts: 926
edited November 2013 in Track
Hi

What wheelset would you recommend as a good, reliable wheelset for training sessions on the boards. Looking for something that is not too heavy but will stay true without needing much maintenance. Not looking to have one built up so just need a 'factory' wheelset.

Thanks
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Dolan L'Etape
Cougar Zero Uno
Genesis Core 50
Planet X TOR

Comments

• AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    poppit wrote:
    Hi

What wheelset would you recommend as a good, reliable wheelset for training sessions on the boards. Looking for something that is not too heavy but will stay true without needing much maintenance. Not looking to have one built up so just need a 'factory' wheelset.

Thanks

I use the Mavic Ellipse wheels, really pleased with them - http://www.mavic.com/wheels-track-ellipse#.Uo0SceJ9DrE
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The default set people go to are dolan navigators or if a bit more flush them there Mavics.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Poppitt, this is the advice given to me by Courtney Rowe at Newport regarding whether to use clinchers or tubs on the boards.

"If you use tubulars and you puncture, you have a 50:50 chance of staying up. If you use clinchers, there is inevitably going to be only one outcome." I punctured a tub at Newport earlier this year. I stayed up.

So with that in mind, I'd suggest you start with tubular Navigators for Derby and have a look through this forum on tyre choice. I'd suggest Continental Sprinters as a reasonable priced good all-round track tubular. No doubt others will recommend something different.

More pics of Derby Velodrome, please.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Thanks for all of the advice.

There will be some more pics of Derby next week. We're having a CGI fly through done as well, the draft of that looks really good.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR