Bibtights: Foot loop or no foot loop?

Pouts
Pouts Posts: 34
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Evening All,

After putting my big toe through the calf of my £20 "Tenn" special bibtights yesterday it is now apparent it is time for some new ones.

I have been looking online and there seems to be a choice of whether to have a loop that goes under the foot and ones that don't have this. Which are best? And what are the best pair for approximately £50-70?

Many thanks

Pouts

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    i prefer no loop

then you can wear them over overshoes, which reduces water ingress through the top of the overshoe
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    No loop often means a zip instead which can be annoying and uncomfortable.
    More problems but still living....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Loop. Over socks.
  • I have a pair of Northwave Force bib tights and they have no loop (but also no zip either which is good), but i do wish they had a loop sometimes so they would be easier to put on. I wouldnt let that distract you though cos they are a great item of clothing and they do keep me warm. They do have a silicon ring inside so it does grip my socks so they dont ride up either.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Definitely loop - helps keep the leggings in place and stop them riding up your leg. If I want that I'll buy a pair of 3/4 length bibs!

Peter
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I have both and frankly notice zero difference at all from about 1 second after I've put them on.... I've never once thought 'I wish had the zip/loop bibs today'.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I remember when I was a kid being bought long trousers with a loop.

I refused to wear them because they were "girly". This was the 60s.

Oh how things have changed, except I am still a no loop boy!
  • I haven't tried them with the foot loop, but for what it's worth my non foot loop tights have never given me a reason to consider getting anything different in the future.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    No loop. Decent bibtights run a zip and a gripper. The loop ones are just budget versions.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I bought a pair with zips and foot loops, found the foot loops really annoying so cut them off.
  • I have both and for me it makes no odds. I like Castelli and Giordana gear but last winter bought some DHB winter tights that I have to say are very good value for money. Think they were £60ish in the sale.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My DHB roubaix bibtights have ankle zips which have the annoying habit of popping open. More recently I got a pair of Campag bibtights from Planet X which have no zips but foot loops; I much prefer them.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Loops.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Loops
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    No loop. Decent bibtights run a zip and a gripper. The loop ones are just budget versions.

Assos in budget shocker ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    :shock:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Pretty much all the current assos have loops save for the budget uno ones! ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Yes, and the loops are so good, you don't even notice them.
  • I use shimano RW80 Gore tex boots in winter. With loops they finish inside the boot and allow water in. No loops means I can zip them over the top of the boot and keep warm and dry.