Top of foot pain...

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Ive got an intermittent pain in the top of my foot right at the bottom of my leg (above my ankle if that makes sense). From what i've read, it seems this seems to be the muscle/tendons that sit on top of the foot and are responsible for straightening your toes. Pain here is caused by overuse. I'm not certain that this is caused by my cycling, as it doesn't seem logical to me that those muscles are used intensively when cycling, its more of a runners problem? The thing I do regularly that makes it hurt is driving - with my ankle on the floor and lifting the front of my foot up and down on the accelerator. I can't visualise that same action being used in cycling?

Anyway, the reason I think it could be cycling related is that it seems to have coincided with me getting a road bike, and moreover, changing to clipless pedals. So i'm wondering if I should alter my cleat slightly? I can always put it back if it doesn't help or makes it worse/causes other problems. Question is, should I move it backwards, or forwards? My logic says move the cleat backwards so move of my foot is in front of the pedal axle - would anyone agree with that?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Make sure your shoes are not over tight especially the top strap. I get pain in the same area of the foot if it is done up too tight.
  • Schoie81
    Yeah, that was one of the other things mentioned - I will check as its entirely possible they're too tight - will loosen them off a touch when I'm on the bike. One thing that's puzzling me - although it ties in with taking to clipless pedals time-wise - I don't have any pain while I'm actually on the bike. And it isn't worse after a ride....?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Over tight shoes is a possibility for sure.

What shoes are you using?
  • Schoie81
    dhb ones...

id figured tight is good, so as I say, quite possible ive had them too tight. ..
  • diamonddog
    They just need to be comfortably tight like ordinary trainers or shoes, the stiffness of the cycling shoe when pedalling is where the benefit is.
  • Schoie81
    Just tried my shoes on and did them up how I normally do - don't feel all that tight, but then I can loosen off the straps a bit and they still don't feel loose.

Will give it a go anyway, see if it improves....
  • Schoie81
    15miler this morning with the new 'less-tight' shoes and have to admit my foot feels more comfortable on the bike. The pain hasn't gone completely, but guess it'll take a little while to fully get back to normal. Hopefully though, that seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks guys!
  • diamonddog
    Hope it's sorted, you may even be able to loosen them a little bit more. :)
  • I have exactly the same thing.

I had it 12 months ago, ignored it and was on crutches for a week as I couldnt support my weight. Doctors advised rest and anti imfammatories

It flared up again last week with shooting pains out of nowhere so I gave it couple of days off and took the remainder of the pills from last year and it currently seems ok, baring slight twinges.

Getting less pain from looser shoes is because the shoes are not pressing on the tendons, its not a solution.

I put it down to running last year (incorrectly) but this year I can't because the only exercise i've been doing is cycling related, be it turbo or road.

I think your first assumption that it's inflamed tendons through overuse is fairly close to the answer, certainly was in my case.
  • Schoie81
    Vslowpace wrote:
    I have exactly the same thing.

I had it 12 months ago, ignored it and was on crutches for a week as I couldnt support my weight. Doctors advised rest and anti imfammatories

It flared up again last week with shooting pains out of nowhere so I gave it couple of days off and took the remainder of the pills from last year and it currently seems ok, baring slight twinges.

Getting less pain from looser shoes is because the shoes are not pressing on the tendons, its not a solution.

I put it down to running last year (incorrectly) but this year I can't because the only exercise i've been doing is cycling related, be it turbo or road.

I think your first assumption that it's inflamed tendons through overuse is fairly close to the answer, certainly was in my case.

VSlowpace - I think mine ultimately stems from a running injury too - just over two years ago I completely knackered my right ankle running a 10k run on an injury that I thought had healed, but after 2km it was clear that it hadn't. Carried on and did the other 8km but shouldn't have done (it was my first run and learnt a valuable lesson the hard way), my right foot has never been quite right since then - I ended up causing other problems elsewhere in my foot by coming off crutches too quickly and subconsciously walking wrongly to 'protect' my ankle. That said, in the last 12months I haven't had any trouble from it until I started with the clipless shoes/pedals back in July. Wouldn't describe mine as a 'shooting pain' though, it is pretty mild (about '2' on the 1-10 scale) and probably more of an ache than a pain, and even then its not continual - it only hurts when I try to left my toes/front of my foot upwards.

I've cycled close to 80miles over the last three days with my shoe straps a little looser and it seems to be getting a little better, it certainly isn't any worse. :)
  • diamonddog
    Schoie81 wrote:
    I've cycled close to 80miles over the last three days with my shoe straps a little looser and it seems to be getting a little better, it certainly isn't any worse. :)
    IME if it is your tendons or ligaments it would not be feeling any better and constant use would make it worse.
  • Schoie81
    Just to update.... since slackening off the straps a little, the pain has gradually reduced and has now gone completely!! What ever the physical problems was with my foot, it would seem i've found the cause and remedied that. Even managed a 7km charity run last week and my foot was fine throughout that.

Thanks for the advice guys. :)