Clicking tooth

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
edited November 2013 in Workshop
So when the chain is on the smallest sprocket on the cassette (12T in this case) the chain always gets a little "stuck" on the same tooth and makes a clicking noise as it jumps back into place. It's only on the 12T sprocket and doesn't matter if you're in the small or big ring.

Now I think it must be a dodgy tooth, maybe slightly bent or something but it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with it. Now just wondered if anyone has had this before and come up with a solution before I fork out for a new cassette.
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Does it happen once per wheel revolution, or is it less frequent?

The former would suggest it's a sprocket issue, the latter possibly the chain. Is the chain joined with a quick link of some kind? Or is it a pin? Maybe you have a stiff link; they sometimes only misbehave on the smallest sprocket because of fewer teeth.
  • I had the very same issue on a brand new SRAM 1051 cassette. I could see that one of the teeth on the 12 sprocket was slightly out of line and the chain was hanging up on it every revolution of the cassette. I took pictures and a video and sent them to the online shop where I bought it and they agreed that there was an issue with the sprocket and sent me an new one. Here is a link to the vid I took of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKxeEIyYPU
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I had the very same issue on a brand new SRAM 1051 cassette. I could see that one of the teeth on the 12 sprocket was slightly out of line and the chain was hanging up on it every revolution of the cassette. I took pictures and a video and sent them to the online shop where I bought it and they agreed that there was an issue with the sprocket and sent me an new one. Here is a link to the vid I took of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKxeEIyYPU

Yup that's exactly what's happening with mine, although not quite as bad as yours in the video. Time for a change of cassette then, unless anyone knows if you can get a 12T sprocket on its own.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    How much use does your 12T sprocket get?
    Could you not source an identical cassette (got an old one?) and replace just the 12T sprocket then only ditch the rest of the cassette when it is worn?