Inline barrel adjusters

PuttyKnees
PuttyKnees Posts: 381
edited November 2013 in Workshop
I asked this in the cx, but I'm not sure there's that much traffic there for this to be picked up.

I am replacing the BB7 cabling on a Boardman CX (after removing the top bars). SRAM advise inserting an inline barrel adjuster, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary. By not having them in the routing, I can then avoid ingress of water in that part and reduce friction as they pass between the cables. I presume all I'll be missing out on will be a fine adjustment?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Not sure there's an easy answer... I like my barrel adjuster but can see your water ingress point. Is that not also true elsewhere in the cable run (only at the chainstay where the bare cable re-enters the outer I suppose)?

If you think it will cause more problems than it solves, don't put it in. There's typically an adjuster on the downtube, on the mech and I've seen them on some shifters too.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    once you've set the brakes up at the calipers it's unlikely you'll need to use the inline adjusters

i fitted some to a bike a few years ago, never needed to touch them, much simpler to adjust at the calipers if/when needed
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Never fitted/needed them in 8 years - there's plenty of pad adjustment to compensate for wear and occassionally adjust the cable at the caliper end, maybe once per year.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • OK great thank you - confirmed what I thought.