Winter training/tourer recommends ?

Dudders29
Dudders29 Posts: 171
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
1k max budget. Winter trainer/tourer, pref Reynolds tubing, decent group set .

Is there anything out there ?

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    genesis cdf or croix de fer :D
  • Go the the Triton Cycles website and see if they have any 2013 All City 'Space Horse' bikes left. Bought one in October - absolutely brill at £999.99. Steel frame, Tiagra 10-speed groupset, Tektro Cantlever Brakes, Alex DA Rims on Tiagra Hubs. Frame has rack and mudguard eyelets front and back - rides like an absolute dream - done 400+miles on mine in less than a month!

Good luck.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • look at the 2014 Focus mares ax5, its alloy, tiagra groupset, disc brakes, high volume tyres, full guards and rack mounts. great do it all bike
    dont only ride a bike
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Ribble Winter bike (alu or steel), Dolan Preffisio or my personal fave, the Tifosi CK7.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Genesis Equilibrium. The only minor gripe is it doesn't have seatstay mounting points for a rack, but you can work around that.
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Ribble Winter bike (alu or steel), Dolan Preffisio or my personal fave, the Tifosi CK7.

+1 for the Tifosi CK7. I have one as my commuter/winter bike and its a great ride, fitted with a rack it makes a great commuter and with the Veloce groupset shifts nicely on wet weekend rides. I'd look at either the Tifosi or a Kinesis Racelight TK3.
    keef66 wrote:
    Genesis Equilibrium. The only minor gripe is it doesn't have seatstay mounting points for a rack, but you can work around that.

The Genesis Equilibrium looks nicest imo but if you're after a winter trainer/tourer then surely the lack of rack mounts rules that one out?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    jordan_217 wrote:

+1 for the Tifosi CK7. I have one as my commuter/winter bike and its a great ride, fitted with a rack it makes a great commuter and with the Veloce groupset shifts nicely on wet weekend rides. I'd look at either the Tifosi or a Kinesis Racelight TK3.
    keef66 wrote:

The Genesis Equilibrium looks nicest imo but if you're after a winter trainer/tourer then surely the lack of rack mounts rules that one out?

If the OP hadn't mentioned Reynolds tubing I too would've suggested the Tk3; I have an original Tk that's now 6 years old and has only just been relegated from one and only year round bike to winter / wet weather bike.

You can easily fit a rack to the Equilibrium using a rack mount seat post collar or even P-clips.
  • As you asked for reynolds tubes I was looking at some other options due to the larger tyre clearance (i.e. use long drop callipers):

Spa cycles audax (horrible transfer though)
    Dawes Sportive