Colnago CX-1 Evo build

andytee87
andytee87 Posts: 406
edited April 2014 in Your road bikes
Everyone likes unwrapping presents, but this year I'm going to be in Burkina Faso for my birthday next month, so I thought I'd get myself something early. When this frameset came up in the Classified section, I thought I'd got for it- always wanted a Colnago, and the C59 is beautiful but a bit much, so as this can have internal electric or external mechanical, seems a brilliantly flexible bike to build around. Giantarmy, thanks again for the frame

So it arrived today, took some photos and weights of components, and plan to build it up over the next few days. I'm putting Ultegra Di2 on her, purists everywhere are aghast at this I know, but my other bikes are Shimano, so it just makes sense on the sharing of cassettes and wheelsets between them all. Plus with the £600 Di2 upgrade kit on Merlin, its hard to refuse.

Other parts will be Deda stem and bars, Fizik Antares Kium (black and white) and Fizik white bartape.
The frameset came with matching Colnago seatpost, brakeset and bottle cages.

Ok, so here are some pics to get started anyway. Love to hear your thoughts as this takes shape.

10854701243_dc2aaaf28b_c.jpg
10854693413_e5da6a23ec_c.jpg
10854407236_9cd8127db1_c.jpg

:D:D

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looking forward to seeing this! The Colnago (FSA) brakes are awful though, best off with group set ones.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Looking forward to seeing this! The Colnago (FSA) brakes are awful though, best off with group set ones.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to doing the build as well, need to get it finished so I can ride it before leaving on Wednesday. I agree re the brakes, going to be keeping an eye out for a set of ultegra in grey on classified section.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    andytee87 wrote:
    I agree re the brakes, going to be keeping an eye out for a set of ultegra in grey on classified section.

Shimano, good man. Stay away from that pesky Campagnolo stuff.

I have Ultegra Group on my Basso and it is great. Would be better in 9 speed but there you go.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • So first bit of fiddling over with, and have got the Di2 wiring all done- thought it would have taken longer than the 5 minutes though... pleasantly surprised. Grommets were awkward until I remembered moulding hockey gumshields in boiled water. 1 minute in the water, and with the help of an allen key, they were a piece of proverbial pi$$

10859385533_7044c316cf_c.jpg

Tomorrow should see most of it finished, other than fettling after the first ride. Really impressed with the frame, the little things make a difference (i.e embossed Colnago club on the front derailleur hanger).
  • will this be ready by christmas Andy? Fred is keen for a ride too. Which one do I get to borrow!? Do you remember the guy on the colnago who was drooling over your de rosa last time we were out in South Wales? Was he your inspiration??
  • will this be ready by christmas Andy? Fred is keen for a ride too. Which one do I get to borrow!? Do you remember the guy on the colnago who was drooling over your de rosa last time we were out in South Wales? Was he your inspiration??

Yep, should be finished today or over the weekend. He wasn't on a colnago, it was a blue Gios I think. I'd say the C59 builds on here were the main reason, just everyone struggles to fault colnago frames. Well, I'm home on the 22nd until skiing on the 28th, sure we can get a ride in with Fred at some point.
  • Ok, so a morning of avoiding learning some new software has meant the build has moved on a bit. Mostly finished now, just chain, pedals and bar tape to go on. Having weighed components as they were going on, the bike is going to come in at 7.35kg, which is going to be fine. Easy to get it under the 7kg by upgrading stem and bars in the future to higher spec Deda, swapping saddle for a plain white Specialized toupe with carbon rails and by putting on FFWD F4R tubs from another bike, but they are the red version, and I like the black and white at the minute.

Pedals will be Keo Blade Carbon and bar tape will be white Fizik Microtex bar tape.

PS. I know the saddle isn't level yet

10869464003_89a846247a_c.jpg
    10869139955_425f17863c_c.jpg
  • Fantastic bike but you haven't colour matched your dog...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Fantastic bike but you haven't colour matched your dog...

Thanks! I'm happy with it anyway.

They're actually different dogs, two sisters and pretty jealous of time spent with/on bike.... If I'd thought I should have got the two sheepdogs from the farm to pose instead.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I was just thinking the saddle looked pretty good considering the dog fitted it :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • That's very nice indeed. It took shape very quickly by the looks of it.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    That's very nice......
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Very nice Bike!! If you do decide to change your saddle and can't find a buyer for the Fizik, chuck it in the post to me and I'll gladly help you be rid of it. :wink:
  • That looks really smart - well done sir!
  • andytee87 wrote:
    will this be ready by christmas Andy? Fred is keen for a ride too. Which one do I get to borrow!? Do you remember the guy on the colnago who was drooling over your de rosa last time we were out in South Wales? Was he your inspiration??

Yep, should be finished today or over the weekend. He wasn't on a colnago, it was a blue Gios I think. I'd say the C59 builds on here were the main reason, just everyone struggles to fault colnago frames. Well, I'm home on the 22nd until skiing on the 28th, sure we can get a ride in with Fred at some point.

Cool I'm back in the UK from 18th to the 28th so loads of time. Have a bike fit on the 23rd can I swing by your place and borrow wheels before then? I'm itching to get out on the new bike!

Colnago looks great! Properly smart piece of kit!
  • Love it, very nice. It's great to built it all yourself isn't it?

Tell us you weighed the bare frame and fork. Do tell!

Nothing wrong with 7.3 kgs, more pro bikes are around that weight than one would think - with deep tub wheels and power meter that is.

Please sort out that saddle tilt --- oops, you caught that already, good man.

Dog is lovely, is that a springer spaniel?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Love it, very nice. It's great to built it all yourself isn't it?

Tell us you weighed the bare frame and fork. Do tell!

Nothing wrong with 7.3 kgs, more pro bikes are around that weight than one would think - with deep tub wheels and power meter that is.

Please sort out that saddle tilt --- oops, you caught that already, good man.

Dog is lovely, is that a springer spaniel?

Thanks for the comments guys, managed to get a quick ride with some flat, descending and climbing, and the bike's great, really stiff, comfortable- very happy! Will try and get some photos tomorrow in the better weather with the saddle in the right plane! The pic above looks off because the rear is about 1cm higher than the front wheel because of the stand

As far as building a bike goes, it's quick as long as you have all the parts- couple of hours maximum. Recommend it though, getting things how you want is a great feeling. The spare time to build it is the benefit of working rotations abroad, the downside is the next month when I'm away haha.

I did weigh the bare frameset, came in at 1230 g frame and 440 g fork. List is 1220/430 g so not too bad considering non digital kitchen scale. The carbon tubs I have are 450 g lighter than the zipps (compared with tyres and tubes vs tubs), so 6.85kg for the build.

Yep, they are Welsh Springer Spaniels, more like an Irish Setter in colour- idiots though
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    andytee87 wrote:

10869139955_425f17863c_c.jpg

Loyal Spaniel:
    "Not another one of these f*****g things - I suppose that means those walks are going to dry up again"

...am I in the right thread?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andytee87 wrote:

Loyal Spaniel:
    "Not another one of these f*****g things - I suppose that means those walks are going to dry up again"

...am I in the right thread?

Pretty much spot on! Worst part is getting the shed keys to get tools etc, which are right next to the dog leads- the expression change should be enough for RSPCA.

Took some photos today of the finished build, with bar tape etc on. Really pleased with how its turned out. A doddle to put together as well which is always a bonus. The pictures were taken with the FFWD wheels on just to see how it looked- think I prefer the Zipp set but it will depend on what kind of ride I'm doing anyway.

I'm going to ride it a while before I cut the steerer any more, might change the stem for a slightly longer one as well, and as Nap D said before, not sure on the brakeset yet, so they may be changed for matching ultegra in the future too.

Hope you like it!
    10943317373_82081e8420_c.jpg
    10943314133_d9f045c194_c.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I'll swap you a set of Chorus Skeleton brakes for your colour contrasted Colnago's.

...and BTW NapD, I am as light as an anorexic racing sanke and a feather will stop me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I'll swap you a set of Chorus Skeleton brakes for your colour contrasted Colnago's.

...and BTW NapD, I am as light as an anorexic racing sanke and a feather will stop me.

Thanks, going to give them a chance first!

Nice Wilier in your signature btw- you bought a c40 as well right? How's that coming along?
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    That is one lovely bike. Enjoy it.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    That looks amazing!

I wouldn't bother getting a more expensive stem to save weight - the Deda one you have at the moment is as light/lighter than quite a few expensive carbon stems. I have loads of them! Great thing for £20.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:
    That looks amazing!

I wouldn't bother getting a more expensive stem to save weight - the Deda one you have at the moment is as light/lighter than quite a few expensive carbon stems. I have loads of them! Great thing for £20.

Thanks Declan, it was more a case of ways of making it lighter if I wanted- I'm not that worried! The only reason I may change the stem is too get a longer one if I find the reach a bit cramped- I do like deda finishing kit though, much nicer look than FSA products at the similar price level.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    andytee87 wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    That looks amazing!

Thanks Declan, it was more a case of ways of making it lighter if I wanted- I'm not that worried! The only reason I may change the stem is too get a longer one if I find the reach a bit cramped- I do like deda finishing kit though, much nicer look than FSA products at the similar price level.

Deda Zero 1 stems are the bargain of the bike stem world. As Mr Bontrager once should have said - strong, light, cheap. Pick all freaking 3 with a Deda zero 1.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • The red bits look really nice and give the bike a nice kick! Enjoy the rides!
  • Very, very nice. Enjoy :D
  • Boxsters
    Boxsters Posts: 325
    Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a bb cable guide for a CX1 do they?

Nice bike - its inspiring me to get mine finished!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    They are only standard, any one should fit.
  • Boxsters wrote:
    Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a bb cable guide for a CX1 do they?

Nice bike - its inspiring me to get mine finished!

Yep- get on with it, I'm really impressed with it!

Like Velonutter says they are pretty standard. Google is always a friend otherwise