Advice on chopping firewood (re: cycling)

debeli
debeli Posts: 583
edited November 2013 in Road general
1. In these winter months you may be glad of an open fire.
2. You may have trees to provide some wood each year and you may store that wood in an unlit basement.
4. You may pop down occasionally and split some wood into kindling...
All of the above is fine.... But do not (please) attempt to split kidling with a hand axe in a dark basement after sunset. If you do, there is a fair chance that you will open the end of your thumb. This will hurt and be messy and introduce related difficulties.

I am now in a position to confirm that using Ergo levers with a thick dressing on a split thumb is effectively impossible. And very, very painful. Ouch.

This information was brought to you by perhaps the most brainless cutter of firewood ever born in the UK.

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    What happened to number 3? Was it You may drink a bottle of Brandy and mistake yourself for Bear Grylls?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    3. You may drink a bottle of brandy and mistake yourself for Crocodile Hogan.
  • GiantMike
    Debeli wrote:
    3. You may drink a bottle of brandy and mistake yourself for Crocodile Hogan.
    Do you mean Crocodile Dundee?

That's not a knife, THIS is a knife.
  • I can offer similar advice:

When mandolining potatoes to make a nice gratin dauphinoise, don't look away at the crucial moment and remove the end of your index finger. It hurts, bleeds forever and makes manual tasks extremely painful for a while.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • GiantMike
    charliew87 wrote:
    When mandolining potatoes......
    Alright Heston, step away from the poncey cook book. This is a thread about manly activities not Women's work.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Maybe it's best if you don't venture out on a bike then :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I can also confirm that checking for the temperatur of a cooling cooker element by spitting on your fingers and touching the said element is not advised. You can, if you have the sprial elements, end up with a pattern across all three finger tips.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You would've been ok with SRAM or shimano...