GoPro hero3+ on road bike

Conorstreete
Conorstreete Posts: 45
edited November 2013 in Road general
We'll guys...So getting the GoPro hero3+ for exams.. Gonna be doing some motorbike racing with it and mtb but was wondering what your thoughts were for using it in road racing? I'm thinking of mounting it on my top cap with a mount..What's your thoughts? Any suggestions on where I can mount it also for some nice race angles

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,891
    Theoretically it isn't allowed. BC rules state something along the lines of not using any equipment that isn't necessary for racing. IMHO the Go Pro isn't a good shape for mounting on a helmet and one thing that bothers me with helmet cams (I'm currently trying to decide whether to get one) is whether they are likely to increase the risk of injury if you land on your head.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Sorry off topic as I have no idea about the rules of racing (not sure how exciting your footage will be from a road compared to mtb, motorbike, skiing and other sports).
    For a fix location worth putting it on the stem or the front of it (aero issue ofc)?

but Pross have you considered a contour cam? IMO a better shape and attach to the side of a helmet
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's only going to be exciting in case of crashes I think. I hired one for the Alps and put it on my stem - it worked well but I went with the waterproof case and that excludes sound - not that most bike films are better with sound.
    I think it turned out quite well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJrTSYV5Tw
  • Pross
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Sorry off topic as I have no idea about the rules of racing (not sure how exciting your footage will be from a road compared to mtb, motorbike, skiing and other sports).
    For a fix location worth putting it on the stem or the front of it (aero issue ofc)?

but Pross have you considered a contour cam? IMO a better shape and attach to the side of a helmet

Yep, I'm looking at Contour Roam or the Drift cameras.
  • I used one on a 3 day trip a couple of months ago.
    The stem mounted, forward facing, view gets pretty dull.

If you can only do one angle then I recommend the rear seatstay, low enough and far enough back to not interfere with the pedal stroke. The forward angle from there is cool with your leg coming down and round into shot and the rear facing angle, if you can change it will get the wheel spinning round and some gear action as well which looks really cool when watched back.

This is the vid we made, has a few of the cam angles to see how they look.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZ6mxqXAn8

Few more angles on show here round Richmond Park
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CUEZxhbVrk
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Good God! That Magisto video was crap ...

Take one expensive toy camera capable of high resolution and then process the cr4p out of it so it has the quality of a 50's movie ...

Effects have their place, but IMHO the video does need some content! ;)
  • Slowbike wrote:

Take one expensive toy camera capable of high resolution and then process the cr4p out of it so it has the quality of a 50's movie ...

The first longer one is all comprised of Magisto movies as well. For one click it does and incredible job of snazzing up videos. I wouldnt know where to start if I had to do it myself
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    sa0u823e wrote:

Contour went bust quite recently so support for their cameras might not be great these days.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    charliew87 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

The first longer one is all comprised of Magisto movies as well. For one click it does and incredible job of snazzing up videos. I wouldnt know where to start if I had to do it myself

At least the first one had some content :)

No - I wouldn't know where to start either ... I leave that to my little bro (the Pro!)
  • Pross
    mister p wrote:
    sa0u823e wrote:

Contour went bust quite recently so support for their cameras might not be great these days.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess that solves my Contour v Drift debate!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Pross wrote:
    mister p wrote:
    sa0u823e wrote:

Just as another option: http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcam-bul ... amera.html

I have of those, they're much smaller than a Contour Roam (don't know about the Drift) and barely weigh anything. The price you pay for that is being limited to 720p and 2 hours battery life (if you're lucky), but it's quite cheap too.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    We'll guys...So getting the GoPro hero3+ for exams.. Gonna be doing some motorbike racing with it and mtb but was wondering what your thoughts were for using it in road racing? I'm thinking of mounting it on my top cap with a mount..What's your thoughts? Any suggestions on where I can mount it also for some nice race angles

Depending on your cable setup you can hang it upside down on the stem. Gives a pretty cool perspective as the field of view includes the shifters and front wheel and is discreet. I managed this with the much chunkier 2.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Pross wrote:
    mister p wrote:
    sa0u823e wrote:

Ah thought someone had come in and bought them up!
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • I think the top cap mounting option takes some beating, the first part of this footage I tried using additional GoPro mounts to show the Garmin, unfortunately one snapped!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r41zSSzNak
  • As for GoPro mounting, the K-EDGE mounts are fantastic (if a little expensive). The Go Big mount can face the camera forward either below or above the handlebar to give slightly differing aspects and also above the handlebar facing the rider to capture your grimacing face on the climbs. The saddle mounts is great for catching the expressions of riders on your wheel!

Handlebar: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-go-big-g ... o-version/

Saddle mount: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-go-big-g ... ail-mount/

I find the shape of the GoPro makes it a bit odd when it comes to helmet mounting. Works but not ideal.
  • cougie wrote:
    It's only going to be exciting in case of crashes I think. I hired one for the Alps and put it on my stem - it worked well but I went with the waterproof case and that excludes sound - not that most bike films are better with sound.
    I think it turned out quite well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJrTSYV5Tw
    that's fantastic cougie ,just one of these myself.

how do you mount it so as not to have any vibration?
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thanks Gubber - it was a good day to ride. I just used the clamp provided and put it on the stem.
    Italian roads are pretty good usually and I think youtube do image stabilisation if you need it.
  • I rode the Ride London 100 with a GoPro H3 attached to my handlebars. Video quality was quite good, if a rather wide-angle and hence a bit unnatural perspective.

The only annoying thing was that the mic picked up no external sound, and the only sound it did pick up was a constant clicking from road buzz.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I assume the GoPro automatically detects it's recorded a cycling video and auto-replaces the audio with a clichéd dramatic soundtrack at the moment of uploading to Youtube? Software is so clever nowadays! How it can pick up that it's recorded cycling is actually amazing (on the other hand how it can auto-choose the soundtrack from a choice of just a few over-emotionalising chichéd crap backing tracks to save a cyclist doing it is of course simple).
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Got a go pro Hero3+ for my birthday. Its smaller than the older versions, can't say I will get much use for the 4k resolution, 720/1080 is more than enough, but I really liked the gopro app that you can wifi control the camera with, though it does eat the bat if you run it on wifi for long. I much prefer the menu via the touch screen on the phone than the buttons. I have mine mounted to the bars using a bar mount ring from ebay (£5ish).

Click my sig for vid example. Not sure its worth 10 x more than my spycam, but it is a good product.