A plea to all buyers

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You have to start somewhere and sizing guides are not it, they are very misleading and don't take into account 95% of proper bike fit.

And as for the forks, if they top out, clunk, no damping, avoid!

A short ride can tell you about shifting ergonomics, brake ergonomics, saddle comfort, you can rule a lot out quickly.
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    First MTB was a Spesh Rockhopper, bought from a friend on a car forum darn sarf, just sent him some money and he sent me a bike, that was basically it.
    The bike was too big, I didnt know that until about 18 months in, but a brake, drivechain and wheel upgrade and it rides lovely now, nice and comfy.

Earlier this year I broke my rear hangar and derailleur, so sent it into the shop to be repaired and I walked out with my Spesh Epic Expert, The test ride was round the car park and up and down a couple of kerbs,
    Bloody love that bike :mrgreen:

The specs of bikes can be a minefield and you can do your head in comparing, I have the opinion that I want it to look nice and take some abuse, and If i shed some timber I will get up them hills quicker, and if I didnt have a hangover I may get round the corners better.
  • Unless you can take it for a demo, sitting on it is a waste of time really.

You have to get used to any bike I suppose. Unless it's too big or too small, it doesn't matter much?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    You can test drive trousers?

I think that's what changing rooms are for :)

Yes, I know you can try them on, but I've never heard of anyone being allowed to take them out for a test drive, lol. :lol:
    I generally like to take a good fart in a pair of trousers so I can judge how much time I have to get away before the smell spreads. Nylon trousers don't let it escape so... no matter how far you run, it's still going to get you. Very important to test drive trousers.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Whilst I agree with the idea of testing bikes, I don't think I ever have. I've either bought them boxed, from Halfords or on-line.

So far the only disappointment was the Saracen that I've still got, just a bit meh.

I can't afford the sort of bikes that allow test rides to be honest, it'll probably be a vitus next.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017