Punctures and tyres

danfelt
danfelt Posts: 5
edited November 2013 in Commuting general
Dear cycling aficionados

I keep getting punctures lately. I'm thinking this may be because my tyre tread has worn down a lot. I have a Felt QX90D bike with Felt QX Cross design 700x37, 60tpi, wire bead tyres.

1) Am I getting punctures because of the bald tyres?

2) Should I replace them, and if so, any advice on new ones? Maybe puncture resistant? Could I 'upgrade' or are tyres much of a muchness? If I should get ones roughly the same, what do I actually look for - the tech specs etc.?

Any help much appreciated! :)

Comments

• If it's mainly road riding I'd be buying these. Vittoria do make some great tyres, I've just replaced a 3 month old Schwalbe marathon rear tyre with one of these. Touch wood everything seems to be good so far.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYV ... lding_tyre
  • Are they pinch punctures or from a foreign object? if they are pinch, then ensure you get your pressure high prior to every ride
  • Thanks spanish adam it is mainly road riding, I'll take a look.

Foreign objects mick, I always keep the pressure right up (perhaps making them more susceptible to punctures?). I also wonder whether this time of might mean there are sharp thorns etc from trees/bushes on the ground.
  • If puncture resistance is the only concern then there's only one choice Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
    Difficult to install and extremely heavy but as close to puncture proof as you will get.
  • bedraggled wrote:
    If puncture resistance is the only concern then there's only one choice Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
    Difficult to install and extremely heavy but as close to puncture proof as you will get.

I just ordered those very tyres prior to reading your post... looks like I'm going to have fun installing them!
  • They're easier than people make out. You just have to make sure you push the bead down into the rim to give enough wriggle room to get the rest on. There's a video on youtube illustrating how. I had no problems and this was my first time fitting a tyre!
  • Cool thanks for the help I'll check out the vid
  • +1 for the marathons plus. Ive only had one puncture in the 6 months ive had them and that was an extremely sharp steel flint that had just managed to make its way through the tyre in the same way a drawing pin would.

Installing them the first time was pretty difficult however they get a lot easier with a little practice.
  • November is the month that many farmers do all the hedge cutting, as they get no growth over the winter, it does appear a lot of people are suffering at the moment! esp on night rides as the cuttings are harder to see.