My first Build

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Hi All,

My Father in law picked up a bargain 2013 Boardman Comp HT in Large a couple of months ago but him being a bit shorter than me, has decided that the frame size is too big (large being 19"). So we went on the hunt for a smaller frame on the premise that I would do the swap of all the components over on to the smaller frame.

We picked up a second hand 2013 Boardman comp HT frame in Medium (18") for £80 so was pretty pleased with that purchase!

So I swapped over all the parts and I now am the proud owner of a Large Boardman Hardtail frame! :D

So this being my first build I have a multitude of choices to make as to what is worth pairing with this frame. It's main use will be for light off road XC use and maybe the occasional blast around Thetford forest. Given that's not too challenging, I was thinking on putting either 100mm or 120mm fork of some sort on the front but that's about as far as I've got!

I was toying with the idea of building it back up with the same spec as a retail model but I am wanting to do this on a budget so for the parts I am completely open to suggestions!

The frame is one similar to this:

BoardmanHT_Large.jpg
It's been a while...

Comments

• If it was me building that up i'd go for Reba fork, either 1x10 or 2x10 shimano drivetrain (I like shimano) depending on fitness and terrain. As for brakes, has to be any new shimanos. Wheels, probably Superstar or see if you can get a decent deal on some hope hoops. Then just finishing kit of your choice, Charge Spoon saddles are popular (i've got 2).

As to where to get parts , are you going for brand new or second hand? If new there are some really good offers on full groupsets on Merlin, I think £350 for full SLX with brakes. Or, if you want to pick and choose, chainreaction has 10% of everything until wednesday so you may be able to pick a few bits up, I took advantage and got a zee mech, shifter, slx cassette and sram chain for 100 quid. On one also have quite good prices on new parts. If you are looking second hand then classified or ebay trawling will be your best bet.
  • I would go for something affordable but decent, such as a Rockshox Recon gold or Reba fork ... or Supersonic linked to a Manitou in another thread, which is meant to be light:
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12949170

Given your location (Norfolk is pretty flat, right?), I'd consider going Singlespeed, and gearing it so you can maintain a good pace on the flat ... will be a good bit lighter than running it even with a 1x10 set-up (assuming all the other components you use are like-for-like). I usually run my Boardman Team HT singlespeed, and its a good light bike; I can get up most stuff in North Leeds on it, so you should have no problem living where you do, unless you regularly travel to hillier places to ride.

You can really reduce your costs going second hand, so if you know what you're looking for, and are prepared to wait, its worth doing ...
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Thanks for the comments guys! Really appreciate it! :)

You're right, Norfolk is incredibly flat. Being originally from the Scottish Highlands, I am amazed to find out how flat this part of the country is!

I never actually thought about singlespeed to be honest, but now you mention it, that might be a good idea to do as it would also save a few quid on derailleur and shifters too. I'm totally open to suggestions on all parts to be honest. Being a total newbie to bike builds I'm kind of excited about the vast choice I have of which components I want to bolt to the frame!

I have the Recon Gold TK on my full sus and it handles everything I have thrown at it so far....Am I correct in assuming that its not recommended going above the 120mm travel that the frame originally had, as it could damage the frame?

I'm going to probably go second hand on most parts, so am prepared to take my time on this build and grab some of the bargains as and when they crop up...! Ebay better watch out! :P
    It's been a while...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not build it rigid and SS, ideal local ride bike where you are and low maintenance as well, could get it really light, sub 10kg shouldn't be too hard or expensive! Little point building something to compete with what you have.

One- one do a decent SS conversion kit, or I have a reasonable Promax SS rear hub at a loose end you could have for the cost of sending (rim and spokes are flubarred)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As you already have a bouncer for any hillier rides / trips you do, then I would definitley advise SS ... you'll save weight and you'll save £££'s too (which you can either 'pocket', or put into some lighter wheels than you would have otherwise been able to afford if you were buying mech and shifters) ... what's not to like?!

You could even go rigid forks, which (I think) would be cheaper and lighter still ... although that's not a recommendation from my personal experience because I've not tried it! Depends on how uneven the (flat) terrain is where you are ... guessing you might encounter some rooty trails, even if there is not much in the way of rocky sections!
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Why not build it rigid and SS,

... beat me to it! :)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    It might be full of kids on the forums, but Pinkbike is a really good place to pick up used parts.

I dread to think how much I've bought and sold on there over the years.

Worth a look if eBay isn't coming up with the goods ;)

SingletrackWorld classifieds is good too, if you can handle the horrible forum format they use.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I would go for the 120mm x fusion vengeance. Comparatively cheap but works great. 2nd hand wheels are a risky option in my opinion but bars, seatposts and stems don't wear out so there's no point buying those new.