Front Sus. spring popped out while on trail

Zani
Zani Posts: 14
edited November 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well. This is my first post so go easy on me!

... I've had my Rocky Mountain UK Project for 2 years now and love it. I do approx 4k miles a year on it between running the dog and trail riding. It is regularly serviced.

My question is, is there any attention paid to the forks during servicing?
- While I was on a bumpy trail in Bracknell Forest yesterday I herd a loud thud and the front of the bike fell several inches. When I stopped I saw my spring sticking out from the top of my fork stanchion with the preload adjustment stuck to the top of the spring.
- Luckily a very helpful group behind me saw what happened and fixed my bike so I could continue.
The threads of the top cap had unwound itself.

Has this happened to any one else? Opinions please?

Many thanks
Mark

Comments

• Unless you have paid to get the susspension serviced I doubt they would have touched it.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    ThanksBye wrote:
    Unless you have paid to get the susspension serviced I doubt they would have touched it.

Pretty much spot on in my experience... and that's if you're lucky enough to have a shop that can service forks and not just send them off to the likes of Mojo or Windwave et al.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to check things regularly, some things pretty much every ride.
    Or they can come loose and you may crash and die.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools