Sensible Upgrade...or not?

ndrover
ndrover Posts: 15
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I currently ride a Planet X Pro Carbon (3yrs old) with SRAM Force group set.
I have started looking for my next bike and found the 2013 TREK 4.9 with DI2 for £2k. I like the look and feel (LBS) but was looking for impartial advice on if this looks to be a sensible upgrade.
I am looking to start to do Sportives next yr and also the possibility of London to Paris.

Any advice would be really helpful
Thanks

Comments

• It'll be no upgrade whatsoever
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Looks absolutely CLASS! anyway I'd imagine it would be an upgrade. try and spend as mch as you can anyway, save you money in the long run with upgrading
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You don't need an upgrade to do the rides - so it's just for you - no bad thing ;).
  • I agree I don't NEED to upgrade, but I have the funds and you can't have too many bikes!!
    I was more interested to see if anybody thought this was a good option at this price bracket.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    The Madone is superb and with Di @ £2k sounds like a bit of a bargain; mate picked up a 4.5 with normal Ultegra for £1.5k and that was a good deal. I'd say def go for it....be a much better bike then the Planet X

and you can never have to many bikes ! use the Planet X for winter :lol:
  • Avit5
    Avit5 Posts: 114
    This is available at £1800 at bike shop near my work. Only thing I do not like about it is the external cable routing for the Di2 on this Trek and the positioning of the battery just below the bottle cage mounts BUT I do appreciate that this is only my opinion and to others it may not bother them in the slightest.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The frame is unlikley to be much of an upgrade, however the groupset is obviously a step into the world of electronics.

If you want Ui2 then it's a good deal, although if the PX fits and you like the SRAM groupset then you could "upgrade" much more effectively by splashing out on a good set of wheels and still have a grand left over...

The most important thing is how either bike FITS!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The frame is unlikley to be much of an upgrade, however the groupset is obviously a step into the world of electronics.LVyb2g
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    erm....kay
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I doubt you'd see any increase in speed due to it - but youd have a newer bike with electronic gearing.

I'd think better wheels and tyres should be a better upgrade - and you can always take them onto the next bike.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Keep the Planet-X, buy some ridiculously nice wheels.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Buy a Di2 groupset and a decent set of wheels and put them on the PX.
  • ndrover wrote:
    I currently ride a Planet X Pro Carbon (3yrs old) with SRAM Force group set.
    I have started looking for my next bike and found the 2013 TREK 4.9 with DI2 for £2k. I like the look and feel (LBS) but was looking for impartial advice on if this looks to be a sensible upgrade.
    I am looking to start to do Sportives next yr and also the possibility of London to Paris.

Any advice would be really helpful
    Thanks

If you like the look of it, and you can afford it. Then why not?