Cancellara contre la montre for the hour record

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
edited November 2013 in Pro race
I have read on the italian Gazzetta that Cancellara will finally have a go at the hour record in 2014, probably soon after the spring classics, taking advantage of the form.
Which velodrome will he choose? Apparently Manchester is one of the fastest...
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It would be great to see Cancellara having a go.
    I think London is quicker than Manchester. I can't see him spending the time to get acclimatized for a go at altitude (Mexico city).
  • inseine wrote:
    It would be great to see Cancellara having a go.
    I think London is quicker than Manchester. I can't see him spending the time to get acclimatized for a go at altitude (Mexico city).

Plus an attempt in Europe would generate more interest and sponsor money
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'm not sure that's true. It's essentially a track event. Britain are the only country that routinely sells out a velodrome.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • http://road.cc/content/news/99067-fabian-cancellara-attempt-hour-record

I would hope for Manchester, and I would definitely go. It would be amazing just to see him try; even better if he succeeds. And even better again if it spurs the worlds top TTers to compete against one another for the record. Surely Wiggins has to be thinking about it; and God knows what Tony Martin could do if he could put the time aside for it.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    For a record attempt I think London will be faster than Manchester, the boards are much newer and hardly used plus they can control the atmospherics better than Manchester which is one of the biggest factors.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Looks like Anadia in Portugal is also an option (and it's a pretty fast track).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm not sure that's true. It's essentially a track event. Britain are the only country that routinely sells out a velodrome.

Spot the person who listens to the HumansInvent podcast :P

It's a funny one - I think it transcends "track" or "road". It's a thing in it's own right. Would be good to have a real name take the record though.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Spot the person who listens to the HumansInvent podcast :P

It's a funny one - I think it transcends "track" or "road". It's a thing in it's own right. Would be good to have a real name take the record though.

Be good to see a rivalry for it.

Cancellara v Wiggins would be great and easily marketed.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Majorca?
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    A race would be more exciting? I do find watching a rider going round and round for an hour boring except the last bit if its touch and go.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    iainf72 wrote:

So Merckx, Moser, Obree, Boardman, Rominger, Indurain aren't big enough names for you then? :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I think he's referring to the current (probably doped) and totally unknown record holder. Sosenko or whatever his name is.
  • Martin has the least track experience of all. At least Fab was a v good junior. But anyway it's not just about the power. It's not about taking the results of outdoor TTs and just applying them indoors. Holding that position for 60 mins - bloody hard. Whoever tackles it seriously is going to need to spend weeks preparing and getting used to that position for that length of time. It almost did for Boardman, and it was his main goal of that year.
  • Like most others, I think it would be great if the hour was attempted. The rule changes make it a much harder ask these days, though.
  • Hypothetically if all of the big three were to have a o (Martin, Wiggo and Fab) I think I'd back Wiggo on the basis of his track experience and the experience of the team around him. Also I think he'd thrive on the solitude and singlemindedness that the attempt requires.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Which record is he going after?

Merckx '70s bike record that boardman has or the other one??
  • RichN95.

Boardman has the other one. Sosenka has the traditional bike one.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:

Boardman has the other one. Sosenka has the traditional bike one.

the 'human powered' record is pointless so it will be on drops.

The Canc of a few years ago, maybe... Today's version? Not so sure.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Just in news - is is going for Scunthorpe track
  • RichN95.
    calvjones wrote:
    The Canc of a few years ago, maybe... Today's version? Not so sure.
    He's better than Sosenka ever was. And Boardman did it when he was about to retire.

If I remember correctly Sosenka, who is is 6' 7", did it with extra long cranks and on a very long track.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Are you UKIP? :lol:
    Britain is in Europe, that's what I meant... London, Manchester or the new track in Switzerland are my top three if I had to bet.
    He'll do it, he'll thrash it and then Wiggins will have a go too
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Are you UKIP? :lol:
    Britain is in Europe, that's what I meant... London, Manchester or the new track in Switzerland are my top three if I had to bet.
    He'll do it, he'll thrash it and then Wiggins will have a go too
    Fair enough. I misunderstood what you were saying.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Be good to see a few riders having a crack at it on the same day! :wink: Shame it can't be incorporated into the World track champs.

I'm wondering if the bike / position restrictions may favour Cancellara over Wiggins (who has a great position on a TT / pursuit bike)?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    If they want to capitalise on this then try and persuade Wiggins, Martin and Cancellara to all have a go. Same time, three locations (London, Grenchen and wherever Tony M fancies), big screen simulcast, proper TV deal. Make a proper spectacle out of it.

Someone get me Cookson's number.
  • If they want to capitalise on this then try and persuade Wiggins, Martin and Cancellara to all have a go. Same time, three locations (London, Grenchen and wherever Tony M fancies), big screen simulcast, proper TV deal. Make a proper spectacle out of it.

That would be epic... although I think it requires a lot of preparation and it's hard to get more than one man at 100% on the same day. There might also be rules preventing it... from the film about Obree I seem to recall you've got 24 hours to try, which means you can try more than once, or something like that
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    If they want to capitalise on this then try and persuade Wiggins, Martin and Cancellara to all have a go. Same time, three locations (London, Grenchen and wherever Tony M fancies), big screen simulcast, proper TV deal. Make a proper spectacle out of it.

All three on the same track, same day would be even better I reckon but the idea of them all having a crack on their home track with home support is a good one. You'd have consistency of conditions then as well. Draw lots well in advance for the order of play. It'll never happen though unfortunately
  • Which track do you think Wiggo would consider his home track? Manchester or London?

awaits first person to say Gent
    @JaunePeril

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    They'll use Derby, it'll be new and it's centrally located. :)
  • Which track do you think Wiggo would consider his home track? Manchester or London?

awaits first person to say Gent

Inital reaction would be Manchester. Its his home track in all kinds of ways, and where his whole support crew and set-up already are, including Sutton, and Boardman's Wirral base not far away (and you can bet he'd be co-opted)

However...could see London having appeal. London crowds are his home crowds, just like the 'Lympics
  • Difficult call. I suppose it depends whethert both tracks are as fast as each other. As has already been mentioned here the "sealing" capability of London led to some great pursuit times.

I'd love to watch but as long as it's televised I don't care. The idea of Martin and Canc also having a go at any time in the same year would re-ignite interest in this record.

Slightly off topic but does Armstrong's ban also include WR attempts? If not I'm sure his ego would still love a crack at this.
    @JaunePeril