My new BMC carbon build - update

trooperk
trooperk Posts: 189
edited November 2013 in Your road bikes
Like most people I wanted a carbon bike so here’s my new BMC carbon build, not every one’s cup of tea as BMC not that popular and also it’s made of lots of mixed parts, apart from the wheels/tyres and the saddle from my old bike, the build with all new parts only cost me about £630 so I’m well happy with it.

The sharp eyes will notice the frame sticker shows SR01 and that’s the female version of the SL01, but research on the net shows the geometry is identical to the male version, got the frame set with forks, headset and seat post new for £360 from Evans, so willing to put up with girly paint scheme. :D

Using MTB pedals at mo to bed the bike in, got new road shoes and peds waiting to go on soon, also looking for new wheels and my brain wants light weight hoops and my heart wants some posy deep rim carbon, I just have to see what deal comes my way.

Just a few ounce over 18 lbs but with lighter wheels will bring it down the low 17lbs mark.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
Lot of people had trouble with the seat post slipping and BMC change the design on later models, but ok for me so far.

Spec
Bar Tape: Pro
Front Caliper: Tektro
Rear Caliper: Tektro
Shifters: Ultegra front 105 rear 10 speed
Front Mech: 105
Rear Mech: Ultegra
Seat: San Marco Ponza power
Cranks: non series 550
Chainring(s): 52x39
Chain: Ultegra
Cassette: Ultegra 25-11
Pedals: shimano 520
Bottom Bracket: Ultegra
Wheel: Shimano RS20
Tyres: Blizzard sport folding

Hope some BMC fans out there and will up load more pics when I get my new wheels.
Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.

Comments

• That looks really trick.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I like the colourway on the frame, prefer it to red/black. Enjoy :D
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks great!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • trooperk
    Well, I’ve been using the bike for few week now before the weather turn bad and find the Shimano RS20 is spoiling the bike, so following my head (so the deep rim carbons have to wait) I got me self some new wheels, narrow it down to RS80 c24, Racing 3 or Campy zondas.
    The best price for the Racing 3 was £50 more than other 2 and I prefer the servicing and replaceable parts of the Campy and so got the Zondas, fitted continental ultra sport folding 23x700 tyres with light weight tubes and save about 350 grams.
    First impression is good as it made the bike much livelier, stiffer than the older RS20 so makes the bike more enjoyable to ride, also replaced the crap standard Tektro brake blocks with much improvement in performance.
    Wanted a light weight saddle but couldn’t find one in my price range, so cleaned up my 20 yr old Vetta SL (210 grams) from my old mountain bike, surprisingly more comfortable than I remembered it to be.
    Still looking out for some posy carbon wheels. :D

a.jpg
    d.jpg
    c.jpg
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    That looks nice.
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    I almost bought this frame but then they sold out! I ended up buying the black SL01 instead (with the normal seat clamp). I have SRAM force with DA C24 wheels and it is very stiff indeed! Fantastic quality and great value too.
  • trooperk
    nicknick wrote:
    I almost bought this frame but then they sold out! I ended up buying the black SL01 instead (with the normal seat clamp). I have SRAM force with DA C24 wheels and it is very stiff indeed! Fantastic quality and great value too.

Hope you enjoyed riding yours as much as I do my, BMC’s not that popular in this country, probably due high retail price and Evans the only shop that sells then so less place to try one for size and less discount to be found as no completion with other retailers.
    Have upload some pics of your yet? Sent the link if you have.
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    No you don't see many and I would normally avoid evans but as they are the only BMC dealer, I had no choice! I liked the look of the frame, the geometry was right for me and I had to scratch the itch of trying one! I bought the full bike because the 105 groupset would be useful elsewhere. It handles very well and feels very stiff, but bordering on a little harsh.
    Here's mine, need to take some decent outdoor shots though!
    YlXOBx6l.jpg
    LN5L0c7l.jpg
  • trooperk
    nicknick wrote:
    It handles very well and feels very stiff, but bordering on a little harsh.

Really, find that a suprise, it’s my first carbon bike so nothing to compare it with but find it more forgiving over ruts and small potholes than my Alu bike with carbon forks and seat post.
    Wanted to try size 51 and 54 before I brought the frame so I rang 2 local Evans shop and both didn’t show much interest, probably why we don’t see that many BMC bikes. :D