cervelo r5 shifting problems

speshsteve
speshsteve Posts: 352
edited November 2013 in Workshop
I'm slowly pulling out what hair I have left with this one!

I have an r5 (vvd model) with shimano dura/ace chainset and Ultegra all the rest with RS80 wheels. I index my gears and it shifts great only to go out of index on a fairly regular basis.

I don't have this issue on any other of my bikes (5 others!, all indexed by me running shimano and Sram) only the R5.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I wonder whether when swapping out the rear wheel if you don't tighten the quick release the same this effectively repositions the rear hanger and therefore the indexing of the rear mech however like I say I don't have this issue on any of my other bikes (surely the rear wheel spacing a constant so unless very loose it should be the same??).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated :)

Steve
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2
Giant TCX
Canyon Grandcanyon 29er

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Not all wheels have the same hub spacing (i.e. the position of the cassette) so you may need to re-index and adjust the limits when swapping wheels. This is perfectly normal.
  • sorry should of been clearer, same wheels therefore same spacing so it shouldn't change the indexing......very frustrating (imagine clutching at straws)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Friction in the cable?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Don't suppose you index when on one chainring and then it goes out when you're on the other chainring does it? If so, the internal gear cables have been crossed accidentally.

(That's assuming you have the internal version.)

If you really can't pin it down, re cable anyway on the off chance something has gone awry.