Triban 3 Brake Caliper Fitting problem

kitsunegari
kitsunegari Posts: 131
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Wondering if any of you folks can help with a problem. I'm trying to mount break calipers to the frame but the front fork has a crown in the thread housing, and as a result I can't get the bolt in..do I need a longer bolt than comes as standard with Shimano groupsets?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    not sure what you mean by "crown in the thread housing"

presumably you've removed the old brakes, how were they attached? is the old brake retaining nut still in the hole?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • It's a new frame with new calipers, so no previous setup to compare with.

Can't really think how to describe it. Where the caliper bolt sits in the frame, and the nut goes in the other side of the fork, there is a lip inside the bolt opening that prevents the bolt from entering enough for the bolt to engage. So either the bolt is too short, or do I need to get a different nut?
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Are you sure it the front caliper nut you’re using as the rear has a shorter nut, if the nut you have is too short then you just have to get a longer one, had to use a 25mm one not long ago for some carbon road forks.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Take a look at these:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/problem-solv ... prod18239/

Two (22mm and 30mm) lengths available - you just need to work out which will suit best based on the size of your existing nut and the extra bulk of your mudguard bracket etc.
  • Yep looks like the 30mm one is needed, cheers!