Di2 upgrade kit

ck101
ck101 Posts: 222
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Merlin had a great deal on the Di2 6670 upgrade kit at €700 or so (Levers, Cables the lot apart from Cranks and Brakes). Went on to order yesterday and they're out of stock with no visibility of when it'll be back in.

Has anyone else seen any similar deals?

Comments

• Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Can't see anything obvious ".....
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I think Ribble do it at a similar price, if they have any.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I'd wait until the 6870 Ultegra Di2 is launched - due in a few weeks. This is why there are lots of deals on 6770 Ultegra.
    6870 should be much more reliable than 6770 - lots of issues if you check around.
    If you're not bothered by 11speed then the original Dura Ace Di2 is also another option. I've been using DA Di2 for nearly 4 years now - both 7970 and from this year 9070 and it's performed flawlessly.
    All IMHO
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Ck101 wrote:
    Merlin had a great deal on the Di2 6670 upgrade kit at €700 or so (Levers, Cables the lot apart from Cranks and Brakes). Went on to order yesterday and they're out of stock with no visibility of when it'll be back in.

Has anyone else seen any similar deals?

I just bought this same kit from them. I was waiting for the short cage version. Rang them up - they told me it was due in next day so I just kept checking website until it refreshed and ordered it.

They have the best deal going anywhere. Probikekit.com do something similar but price isn't as good. I've bought the Merlin one 2 or 3 times!

Just click on the stock notification button - or ring them on Monday and they will tell you when it's due in.
  • 6870 should be much more reliable than 6770 - lots of issues if you check around.

Like what issues?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Pokerface
    I've ridden my Ultegra Di2 stuff for thousands of miles. And ironically, the only issue I've ever had was with a Dura Ace Di2 rear mech dying on me. First Gen one though.

I have the Ultegra Di2 stuff on 4 bikes now. Latest build is a mix of Dura Ace and Ultegra. To save a bit of weight :)
  • 6870 should be much more reliable than 6770 - lots of issues if you check around.

Like what issues?

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=ultegra+di2+problems

Plus feedback from my LBS
  • Pokerface
    Improper installation or set-up does not count as a 'problem'.
  • just to let you know starbike in germany have 6870 di2 in stock now i have just ordered a rear mech which apart from suitable freehub, cassette and chain is the only part you need to change from 10 speed , i would mix and match to get a 11 speed set up at a fraction of the cost using 6770 and 6870.

i also have done 4000k this year on di2 ultegra and it has not missed a beat.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Why does every Di2 thread need a luddite, who has never used it, saying it isn't reliable?

You just make yourself look so stupid to all Di2 users.

If you just don't like the idea of it and prefer ye olde levers, fair enough, but don't try to rubbish it based on internet hearsay, shoddy installation or people who didn't read the user guide.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Pokerface
    limoneboy wrote:
    just to let you know starbike in germany have 6870 di2 in stock now i have just ordered a rear mech which apart from suitable freehub, cassette and chain is the only part you need to change from 10 speed , i would mix and match to get a 11 speed set up at a fraction of the cost using 6770 and 6870.

Be interested to hear if you have any problems with the front mech in that 11-speed set up. Only because the 6770 front mech apparently will trim for 10 speeds, not 11. Shouldn't make much of a difference if at all. I've gone the other way (but not installed it yet - the 11-speed front mech not he 10-speed setup.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Pokerface wrote:
    limoneboy wrote:
    just to let you know starbike in germany have 6870 di2 in stock now i have just ordered a rear mech which apart from suitable freehub, cassette and chain is the only part you need to change from 10 speed , i would mix and match to get a 11 speed set up at a fraction of the cost using 6770 and 6870.

Be interested to hear if you have any problems with the front mech in that 11-speed set up. Only because the 6770 front mech apparently will trim for 10 speeds, not 11. Shouldn't make much of a difference if at all. I've gone the other way (but not installed it yet - the 11-speed front mech not he 10-speed setup.

I would be surprised if you didn't need an 11 speed controller. Is the 11 speed cassette wider than the 10 speed? It sounds like a stupid question but they are probably not, meaning a 6770 front mech may work and you would need an 11 speed cassette as the jockeys would be to suit a narrower 11 speed chain, nothing else.

Getting the stepper motor in a 6770 rear mech to run an 11 speed cassette is only a programming issue.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Pokerface
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    limoneboy wrote:

I would be surprised if you didn't need an 11 speed controller. Is the 11 speed cassette wider than the 10 speed? It sounds like a stupid question but they are probably not, meaning a 6770 front mech may work and you would need an 11 speed cassette as the jockeys would be to suit a narrower 11 speed chain, nothing else.

Getting the stepper motor in a 6770 rear mech to run an 11 speed cassette is only a programming issue.

11 speed cassettes are wider than 10 seeps cassettes. That's why you need 11-speed hubs.

And 6770 rear mechs will not run 11-speed no matter how much you try and reprogram them.
  • ck101
    As an fyi 11 speed cassettes run on Mavic Hubs (since 2001).

Still looking for the deal..
  • ck101
    Back in stock at Merlin at €100 more.
  • Di2 11 rear mech arrived yesterday from starbike.com tested off my bike and works o.k. with old set up as in it changes to 11 coggs.big surprise is how much better it looks much smaller back end and better finish .

it is also 254g V's 278g on old mech.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • Back in stock at £680 now we're they cheaper previously? Will 6870 run 10 speed? I want di2 but not changing my wheel collection to 11 speed!
  • ck101
    Yes as above "Merlin had a great deal on the Di2 6670 upgrade kit at €700 or so"

I understand 6870 will run 10's.

With the advantages of the newer Ui2 groupset, better form factor, 11's, battery in the seatpost, ability to change chain rings between standard /compact, stronger brakes, I'm starting to think its worth splashing out the extra.
  • Hmm I have my own 10sp double chainset and brakes and have a frame where the battery gets mounted under a stay (cervelo s5) so doesnt sound like there's much in it for me. Gooseberry don't nake 6770 obsolete.
  • Pokerface
    They boosted the price - probably due to demand. Still a decent deal.

I was going to go for the seat post battery, but it requires a different charger. It's like £200 just to save about 20g. All my bikes use the same standard battery so left it as is.