'Cross mud tyre bargains?

majormantra
majormantra Posts: 2,094
edited November 2013 in Cyclocross
Anyone know of any? I'm after a decent folding tyre for Scottish mud but feeling a bit cheap. Ideally don't want to spend more than £20 per tyre but starting to realise that may not be realistic.

Comments

• majormantra
    Actually I see Ribble has those two for £20.99. Sounds like the XM Pro might be a good choice. Thoughts? How does it compare to the uber popular Grifo?
  • Challenge and Vittoria are virtually the same thing... they are made in the same plant in Thailand and they are remarkably similar in every way
    left the forum March 2023
  • majormantra
    I'm confident the quality is there, I'm more concerned about the specific treads. Basically I've just bought a second hand 'cross bike with Kenda Small Block Eights and want a tyre that's a meaningful upgrade for sticky mud.
  • I have the Vittoria XN, which are for dry.. they are fantastic... soft compound, grippy, subtle elastic ride... I'll use them for Paris Roubaix next year
  • I've just fitted a pair of conti cross kings... They shift the mud really well!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I have a pair of XG Pros, and they're fine but nothing special. I think the XM's have a reputation for allowing you to slide out the back end, which might not be to everyone's taste.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • majormantra
    Hmmm, I did read that somewhere too actually. For someone as wussy as me that might be an issue.

So basically, the XG Pro is probably the same as the cheaper version of folding Grifo by the looks of things?

The Conti looks ok but I suspect not radically different to my current Kendas on mucky stuff.
  • Hmmm, I did read that somewhere too actually. For someone as wussy as me that might be an issue.

So basically, the XG Pro is probably the same as the cheaper version of folding Grifo by the looks of things?

The Conti looks ok but I suspect not radically different to my current Kendas on mucky stuff.

Yep... not sure why people rave about the Challenge... all the Challenge tyres I have handled have a correspondent in the Vittoria range, which is typically cheaper. My feeling is that the thread is the same and the mould for the rubber slightly different, but only very slightly. I recall Challenge forte being 99% identical to Vittoria SC for instance, if not for a very slight wave in the rubber pattern, which was straight in the Vittoria.

As for Continental... I am not a fan of the German stuff, very harsh and numb... had a set of Speed King once, they were mediocre at best
  • majormantra
    I think it's the skinwalls - more Euro looking. (Which I do sympathise with.)

Another option:

http://www.zepnat.com/component/page,sh ... Itemid,48/

I feel stupid because I missed out on a cheap set of these in the classifieds last week.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have some XM tubulars - fine on the back wheel but wouldn't recommend them for the front as they don't track straight very well - you need something with more pointy lugs.

In terms of clinchers - Clement Crusade PDX, Michelin Mud and Schwalbe Racing Ralphs all provide good grip in the slippery stuff.

I often buy CX tyres from Kompressor bike in Luxembourg - they have some good deals
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • majormantra
    I've ended up with a set of XG Pro clinchers from the classifieds which will do me for now.

Funny you should mention Luxembourg Monty, that's where I grew up and where my parents still live. I'll be visiting at Christmas, might check that shop out. Cheers!
  • Challenge and Vittoria are virtually the same thing... they are made in the same plant in Thailand and they are remarkably similar in every way
    Same in every way is a bit strong. I own the whole gamut of Challenge's range and 2 Vittorias. The Challenge carcass has a few differences: un-mounted they sit flat like an open tubular whereas Vittorias have a noticeable curve to them. When flattened, the Challenge carcass is 2 mm wider. And finally, the Challenge threadcount looks a lot higher. Vittoria are also lighter but 20-30 grams.

For pure mud there is nothing better than a Limus or Clement PDX which is basically the same tread.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.