Anti roll back brake?

labarum
labarum Posts: 110
edited November 2013 in MTB general
I was cycling past my local bike shop in the Cyprus village where I live and stopped to pass the time of day with the owner - it's just a little shop where he sells and services very average bikes. He said to me - come and look at this - what is it?

Neither of us had seen the likes of it before. It was a double suspension cheap MTB. The front wheel had a small sprocket on it connected by a standard chain to a second similar sized sprocket about a foot higher and attached to the fork. If you pushed the bike forward the mechanism did nothing, but if you rolled the bike back there was an braking effect on the front wheel that did not come from the v-brakes.

What is it?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Two wheel drive?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sounds petty straightforward to me - the top sprocket is fixed to the fork leg so in one direction it can freewheel (i.e. forward motion on the bike) and in the other direction it is trying to rotate the fork leg which it cannot do so locks the wheel via the chain.

That's how I see it form your description anyhow....
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Labarum wrote:
    I was cycling past my local bike shop in the Cyprus village where I live and stopped to pass the time of day with the owner - it's just a little shop where he sells and services very average bikes. He said to me - come and look at this - what is it?

Neither of us had seen the likes of it before. It was a double suspension cheap MTB. The front wheel had a small sprocket on it connected by a standard chain to a second similar sized sprocket about a foot higher and attached to the fork. If you pushed the bike forward the mechanism did nothing, but if you rolled the bike back there was an braking effect on the front wheel that did not come from the v-brakes.

What is it?

Unnecessary? :wink: