Oldest bike You've got.

Dandelionclock30
Dandelionclock30 Posts: 306
edited January 2014 in Your road bikes
Just out of interest whats the oldest bike you've got that you still ride ? Do people tend to buy a new one every couple of years or keep them and get new ones as well?
I've managed about 6 years tops before its either been stolen or I've sold it because I wanted a new one.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    edited November 2013
    I have a 27 year old muddy fox courier, got it for Christmas when I was 11. It's now my errand bike. I also put a kiddie-seat on the back and take the littlest one places on it.

It's a bit small for me but it's great! Only change has been a new pair of tyres and a longer seatpost.

x2_22be127.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    Thats easy for me, Ive got a Mongoose Rockadile SX mountain bike from 1996 and also recently collected a 1996 Colnago C-94. Both are both ridden regularly and the Colnago is currently setup with mudguards to be used throughout the winter!
  • napoleond
    I think he means the longest you've owned one. Not how old the bike is per se...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Bookwyse
    In thats case then its the Rockadile.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Mine isnt a road bike, but is a 1990 Klein.. Took 3 years to build, this isnt a current photo.. Have done quite a bit retro stuff to it.. Love it so much, its locked away in one of these storgage places, dont trust my kids running around the house/garage :D

100.jpg
  • saprkzz
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think he means the longest you've owned one. Not how old the bike is per se...

oh in that case, the above bike isnt the "longest" i have owned.. thats my cheap Trek which i have had 5 years! :):lol:
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I have and still ride a Raleigh Record Ace that was new for my 18th birthday way back in 1985 :shock:
    The bike has changed a bit over the years, it now has a full Ultegra groupset on it, new seatpost, Fizik Arione
    saddle and a new set of Mavic Kysirium Elite S wheels. The frame, fork and quill stem are all original and the
    bike is in mint condition, I look after it better than the kids......

I also, up until recently had a 1992 Cannondale M1000 mountain bike, hell I wish I hadn't sold it :cry:
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    Sh*t Saprkzz, that was my dream bike back in the early 90's an electric blue Klein.

I got the Cannondale as I couldn't afford the Klein.
  • Thanks for the replies to clarify I mean the longest you have owned one for.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    saprkzz wrote:
    Mine isnt a road bike, but is a 1990 Klein.. Took 3 years to build, this isnt a current photo.. Have done quite a bit retro stuff to it.. Love it so much, its locked away in one of these storgage places, dont trust my kids running around the house/garage :D

100.jpg

That was my dream bike as a kid, posters on the bedroom wall etc.. Of course, a part-time job at Asda whilst you're doing your A-levels didn't quite raise enough cash for one, so I never had one.

I half have a hankering to buy one nowadays - but maybe it's best to not meet your heroes and all that?

Oldest bike I own these days - my 2007 Brompton.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've just laid to rest my 2000 Jamis hardtail. Nothing wrong with it (well there is the taco'd back wheel) but a mate gave me his 'old' (2009 Kona) bike when he got a new one. What's a man to do?

However the original parts on the Jamis were down to the frame, shifters and handlebars.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    In 1974 my parents bought me Carlton, in a very 70's light green metallic, to cycle to school with. I still use it occasionally to cycle to the shops. It's so beat up I don't need to lock it. The curious thing is I saw the exact same bike yesterday up in London. They seem to last forever because the crankset etc. are all made of chromed steel.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Just had to get it out of the shed as I don’t have any photos on file, got this for my girlfriend now my wife in 1991, Claud Butler Spectre with lugged frame, apart from the saddle and hand grip the rest is all original, limited mileage done by the wife as had babies not long after, but did get my son interested in offroad riding on it till he got his own bike.

cb1.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    cb3.jpg

And baby Mint sauce.

cb4.jpg
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • stabilised
    stabilised Posts: 70
    edited November 2013
    My winter bike is based on a Dawes Imperial, which my (then girlfriend and now) wife bought second hand in 1988, and rode until she got a new Giant three years ago and passed it on to me - it always was a bit big for her. I think it was new in 1984 or so. 531c frame and stays, 531 chromed forks and the original Simplex down-tube friction levers and mechs (which are loathsome!) The chainset is a Stronglight triple a friend gave to my wife to help her with the hills when she bought the bike (the original 52-44 chainset being not very helpful). Wheels aren't original, but are the ones that came from the first owner - Miche superfast hubs built onto Mavic MA40 rims, so much better than the originals and still running beautifully. Bars and seatpin are original (bars are incedibly narrow by modern standards) and the stem is extra-short to help my wife. A modern saddle - the original was torture for a woman and long ago thrown out, so I put on my modern one when I took the bike over. Only the brakes have been overhauled because the original Weinmann's were so utterly ineffective. My wife would get off to walk DOWN steep hills, they were so bad. Now Miche dual-pivots with some Shimano Sora levers from about ten years ago. Work better, if still not brilliant. Fitted with mudguards and fat winter tyres (32mm Continentals), I ride it regularly.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Until recently Had a peugoet 525 comp, had it for 20+ yrs
  • No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    That'll be my Claud Butler Majestic, which I bought new in 1980.

It's not quite 'Trigger's Broom', but all the running gear has been changed over the years. I still take it out when I'm feeling brave - I try not to think about the centre-pull brakes and >33 years of internal corrosion!
  • 1988 Cannondale tourer. Just keeps on going (albeit as SS these days). Original everything except drive train & shifters.
    1991 Pace RC200 - was perfect then and all original now.
    1994 Trek OCLV - upgraded to DA 10 speed mechs & shifters, but otherwise all original
    1997 tandem - still all original

They've all got serious miles on them. I just can't seem to let go of them (or get the approval for new stuff)
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • My oldest is a Tommasini Super Prestige owned it and rode it for almost 25 years. I don't ride it that much any more, just the odd sunny day. It is pretty much as it was when it was purchased.

B6836731-BC5F-4A68-923D-879A77A956FF-5464-000007107DC80440.jpg
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    My oldest is a Tommasini Super Prestige owned it and rode it for almost 25 years. I don't ride it that much any more, just the odd sunny day. It is pretty much as it was when it was purchased.

Now that's just showing off :)
  • napoleond
    Love that Tommasini! Ace! Wonder if I saw you once put and about earlier this year near Nantwich. I had a chat with someone on theirs, I think they were in a PDM jersey. We had a brief chat as we rode along together for a bit. Long shot I know but the bike was the same as yours...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • My (new since 1985) Raleigh Gran Tour (all 531c) is still used daily. I recently coldset it to 130 and gave it a SRAM 8 speed cassette and compact to go with its original downtube shifters. With a nice set of Ambrosio handbuilts and decent brakes it's a very nice bike to ride.

It's my commuter and winter bike n+1.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    solboy10 wrote:
    My oldest is a Tommasini Super Prestige owned it and rode it for almost 25 years. I don't ride it that much any more, just the odd sunny day. It is pretty much as it was when it was purchased.

That's absolutely gorgeous. You must have put the ergo levers on more recently which spoils the look a bit but I understand why.
  • Bookwyse

I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Orignal 1980, but it has been in my possession since 1987

DSC_1263_zpsc35e1c09.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • trooperk wrote:
    And baby Mint sauce.

cb4.jpg

Love Mint Sauce
  • how about this 1983

SNC12373_zpsdda6710c.jpg
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Love that Tommasini! Ace! Wonder if I saw you once put and about earlier this year near Nantwich. I had a chat with someone on theirs, I think they were in a PDM jersey. We had a brief chat as we rode along together for a bit. Long shot I know but the bike was the same as yours...

Nap D, it wasn't me, you be suprised how many Tommasini's there re around Cheshire. The importer in the early nineties was in Frodsham.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • inseine wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

That's absolutely gorgeous. You must have put the ergo levers on more recently which spoils the look a bit but I understand why.

The ergo levers where added in the early nineties when they first came on to the market, probably about 93, although they are not the ones fitted back then.
    Building:
    Race:

Winter:

Retro:
  • saprkzz
    Rokt wrote:
    Sh*t Saprkzz, that was my dream bike back in the early 90's an electric blue Klein.

I got the Cannondale as I couldn't afford the Klein.

Yeah, mine too, I always wanted one of these, never even got to see one when I was growing up, so when one came up on ebay a few years back, no higher bidder would have won! :)

I have finished the build now, putting Red/White/Blue Bullseye hubs laced with mavic 231cd's, XT thumb shifters with Campag Brakes, and dia comp 987's canti's.

Not sure what to do with it now though..lol It wont get dirty or wet! :)
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    1984 Raleigh Classic, still on original wheels/straight and true
    Had to fit new forks when some idiot rode head on into me on cycle track

Now my winter commuter

classic.jpg
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic