Farmers Again, have ur say

dave02
dave02 Posts: 325
edited November 2013 in The bottom bracket
It appears that some people are in favor of FARMERS (i know) so lets have a list of good things about them.
I will start.
They farm :|

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,321
    Some have daughters.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • And some keep sheep.
  • dave02
    Does anybody know a Mushroom Farmer, and how big is the harvester you have to use.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I hear you need to drink cider to drive a brand new harvester.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    They have alot of land. So, they can kill and bury snotty cyclists and they'll never be found.
  • I am a Cider Drinker, it soothes all me troubles away,
    Ooh arrh, ooh arrh ay, Ooh arrh, ooh arrh ay,
    Ooh arrh, ooh arrh ay, Ooh arrh, ooh arrh ay

(Let cider be the spice o' loife! Arr!)
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • They generally only marry within the farming fraternity, favouring 1st cousins wherever possible.
  • Some look after pigs. Bacon and sausages are made from pigs.
  • daviesee
    Some look after pigs. Bacon and sausages are made from pigs.
    Bacon undoubtably.
    Sausages, doubtful*.

*Depending on source.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    They generally only marry within the farming fraternity, favouring 1st cousins wherever possible.

Being pedantic, the farming community would soon die out if their partners were only selected from the fraternity, would it not?
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    less than 1% of the population own 87% of the land and they get enormous subsidies (if it were you or me then these payments would be called benefits) to do this. The cost involved actually dwarf the payments to banks after they f%^ked up. Unbelievable.
  • dave02
    Someone is being PEDANTIC, its only just legal, In america they call them Bovine Containment Operative's, we call them cow men, i saw a man outstanding in his field. We also have pig men but not chicken men, :roll:
  • ballysmate
    pliptrot wrote:
    less than 1% of the population own 87% of the land and they get enormous subsidies (if it were you or me then these payments would be called benefits) to do this. The cost involved actually dwarf the payments to banks after they f%^ked up. Unbelievable.

Farmers do undoubtedly receive subsidies, but would you be prepared to pay the full unsubsidised price for your food? If you take away all subsidies, the vast majority of farming would be no longer economically viable.
  • dave02
    Which brings us back to my first post, let them farm in other places not here. simples :o
  • dave02 wrote:
    Does anybody know a Mushroom Farmer, and how big is the harvester you have to use.

yes i used to play cricket with one.
  • dave02
    what did u use him for
  • ballysmate
    Some of their wives mutilate visually impaired rodents. :cry:
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    dave02 wrote:
    Which brings us back to my first post, let them farm in other places not here. simples :o

And make the UK completely reliant on imports for something as basic as food?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Ballysmate wrote:

:lol:
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    matthew h wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

:lol:
    I also :lol:
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Peat wrote:
    We are happy as a nation -or perhaps just the Government is- to rely on imports for pretty much everything else, including things as basic as electricity (with nearly all capacity foreign owned, and most fuel now imported). The strategic concerns went out of the window when a political point was to be made by closing the coal industry. We don't manufacture anything, because it's cheaper to buy everything from elsewhere. As food would be if a free market was in operation. Julian Hooray-Twinley-Farquar on his 1000 acres in Cambridge can't compete with Scott from Kansas, and he is at liberty and happy to buy his inputs, machinery and labour from the cheapest sources (not the UK), so why should he be protected? No-one else was, or is.
  • daviesee
    pliptrot wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    We are happy as a nation -or perhaps just the Government is- to rely on imports for pretty much everything else, including things as basic as electricity (with nearly all capacity foreign owned, and most fuel now imported). The strategic concerns went out of the window when a political point was to be made by closing the coal industry. We don't manufacture anything, because it's cheaper to buy everything from elsewhere. As food would be if a free market was in operation. Julian Hooray-Twinley-Farquar on his 1000 acres in Cambridge can't compete with Scott from Kansas, and he is at liberty and happy to buy his inputs, machinery and labour from the cheapest sources (not the UK), so why should he be protected? No-one else was, or is.
    ....And that is why this Country will be farked. If it is not already.
    Anyway, back to talking bullocks......
  • ballysmate
    daviesee wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:
    Peat wrote:
    ....And that is why this Country will be farked. If it is not already.
    Anyway, back to talking bullocks......

Pliptrot never stopped. :lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    I passed a field with a scarecrow in it today. Apparently, the scarecrow got an award - for being outstanding in his field.

I'll get my coat but before I go: Very subtle Bally.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • My son is a Dairy Farmer :|
  • pinno
    My son is a Dairy Farmer :|

I can't have this, this is just no bloody good. There I was cruising to the top 10 posts and you come along.
  • dave02
    It might be basic to you mate, but its life and death to some people. :shock:
  • pinno
    dave02 wrote:
    It might be basic to you mate, but its life and death to some animals. :shock:

FTFY :D
  • dave02
    I always get that sinking feeling when people start talking about subsidies, when you cut your own hedge do you throw the cuttings all over the road, when you dig the garden do you throw soil all over the road, when you go shopping do you throw some of your stuff all over the road, then whinge on about the weather, to wet to dry to windy to cold, they are not the only ones who are bothered by the weather ask BOB the builder, i watch Country File and poor old Adam might have to sell one of his kidneys to make ends meet. :cry:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Moi dad were a farmer but is now retired from the working bit of it, so boi defnishun I are one too. My big brother are too.