In the absence of Cleat. it's the 'Ask T47b column'

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,316
edited April 2017 in The bottom bracket
As you are a very knowledgable individual can you tell me this:
On my bike ride today, I passed a small wood. Then it suddenly struck me, no not a trattor but there was a carpet of light brown pine needles. What is the reason for deciduous conifers and non-deciduous conifers? Is one species evolved more than the other?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    Also and more importantly.

A boy and his dad were driving happily along the road when a driver in the opposite lane has a heart attack, causing his car to veer into the path of the father and son. The dad is killed instantly and the boy airlifted to hospital. The doctor in the operating theatre, looks down at the boy and says "I can't operate on this boy, he's my son"

How is this possible! T47b, help?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    seanoconn wrote:

A boy and his dad were driving happily along the road when a driver in the opposite lane has a heart attack, causing his car to veer into the path of the father and son. The dad is killed instantly and the boy airlifted to hospital. The doctor in the operating theatre, looks down at the boy and says "I can't operate on this boy, he's my son"

To easy. bit I will keep you dangling.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mum's the word
    Neil
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    As you are a very knowledgable individual can you tell me this:
    On my bike ride today, I passed a small wood. Then it suddenly struck me, no not a trattor but there was a carpet of light brown pine needles. What is the reason for deciduous conifers and non-deciduous conifers? Is one species evolved more than the other?

You are probably talking about the larch, Larix decidua, which is a deciduous conifer. These are evolved/adapted to colder climates than the evergreen conifers.

As with all trees if you place a deciduous tree in a warmer climate it can/will become evergreen. We have oak trees here which have come from acorns from the UK and the tree is evergreen here and deciduous in the UK.

Things shrink more in the cold :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b
    seanoconn wrote:

I know, who'd have thought women with careers :roll:
  • The 1975 seem to be quite famous at the moment, explain?
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • team47b
    a lot of sex and quite a lot of drugs :D
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Can you please explain the workings of the female mind?

Many thanks
    CB
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    What is the physiological reason to eat immediately after hard exercise. What should we eat?
  • team47b
    edited November 2013
    City Boy wrote:
    Can you please explain the workings of the female mind?

Many thanks
    CB

I'm still working my way up to that, I mean literally obviously, I started at the furthest point and am coming at it obtusely :D

had to edit that last bit out :wink:
  • team47b
    FatTed wrote:
    What is the physiological reason to eat immediately after hard exercise. What should we eat?

Low blood glucose and conversely high insulin produces hunger pangs, as can dehydration, we should eat within 30 minutes of exercise to maximise glycogen replacement, the optimum is 4:1 carbohydrate to protein balance, choose simple carbs for fast recovery, don't overdo portion size, it's a snack, eat 'normal' meal within an hour or so.

But it does depend on what the 'hard exercise' was, maybe you just fancy a cigarette :D
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    team47b wrote:
    FatTed wrote:

Low blood glucose and conversely high insulin produces hunger pangs, as can dehydration, we should eat within 30 minutes of exercise to maximise glycogen replacement, the optimum is 4:1 carbohydrate to protein balance, choose simple carbs for fast recovery, don't overdo portion size, it's a snack, eat 'normal' meal within an hour or so.

But it does depend on what the 'hard exercise' was, maybe you just fancy a cigarette :D

My misssus used to smoke after sex, but I am less vigorous now. :shock:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Best to keep a fire extinguisher handy though just in case she combusts again...
  • team47b
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Best to keep a fire extinguisher handy though just in case she combusts again...

Yes Mikey a good question :D

What is the best thing to use on Mrs Ballysmate?

I think probably something that consists of a hand-held cylindrical pressure vessel containing an agent which can be discharged to extinguish the fire if she combusts again :D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Is that self combustion?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    daviesee wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Is that self combustion?

No.

That's an easy one to answer, Mr B has already admitted he had a part in it :wink:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    team47b wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Is that self combustion?

No.

That's an easy one to answer, Mr B has already admitted he had a part in it :wink:

A large part, I'll have you know. :wink:
  • pinno
    My mate has got a mini in bits. It is sprayed a Tahiti blue with a silver fleck through it. 7 layers and a top coat of lacquer. It is gorgeous. the dilemma he has is which grill and which badge? A Mark ii Cooper 7 bar with towel rack or a more up to date 9 bar without towel rack? Which badge too? A Mini Cooper s badge or an Austin 7?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Mrs. C thinks a cot and stuff for the nursery are important things to buy at the moment. I bought our future addition a Spider-Man baby grow.

Who's train of thought is correct ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Matt. Mrs C is always right.
  • team47b
    My mate has got a mini in bits. It is sprayed a Tahiti blue with a silver fleck through it. 7 layers and a top coat of lacquer. It is gorgeous. the dilemma he has is which grill and which badge? A Mark ii Cooper 7 bar with towel rack or a more up to date 9 bar without towel rack? Which badge too? A Mini Cooper s badge or an Austin 7?

As it's a custom job, might be better to avoid imitating a real cooper, maybe a custom grill, chrome paper basket look or drilled polished aluminium sheet, remember to fit a water shield around the dizzy though. Just the 's' part of an 's' badge :D

In the end it wont matter which grill your mate chooses, the grill won't want it in a mini :D

You did mean !960's coopers with engines touched by John himself?

My mark 1 '66

mk1cooper075.jpg

My mark 2 '69

mk2cooper074.jpg
  • team47b
    MattC59 wrote:
    Mrs. C thinks a cot and stuff for the nursery are important things to buy at the moment. I bought our future addition a Spider-Man baby grow.

Who's train of thought is correct ?

We all know that you are right Matt, spidey suits are cool, but a cot with bars and a lid will stop the little spidey from escaping by climbing the curtains, giving you both some 'free time' :D

I bought my grandchild a Portugal team strip baby grow, she looked great in it, blokes have priorities :D

But FatTed is right.
  • pinno
    Dear T47 or... should I say, 'Uncle T47'

Why do forumites take MF seriously?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Pinno wrote:
    Dear T47 or... should I say, 'Uncle T47'

Why do forumites take MF seriously?

I was also going to ask a similar question, something along the lines of "Why are so many people unable to distinguish tongue in cheek comments from the more serious?"

Also, what is "Snowflake", in the parlance of today?
  • Garry H
    Has he gone for another nap?
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:

T47's life consists of one long nap and the odd period of being awake.

I'll send him an email...
  • team47b
    Garry H wrote:

What, cheeky fecker, I don't nap, I go from full on to passed out, no speeds in the middle, I've been busy painting the whole of Portugal white.

A reference to popular paint choice here.
  • Garry H
    team47b wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

What, cheeky fecker, I don't nap, I go from full on to passed out, no speeds in the middle, I've been busy painting the whole of Portugal white.

A reference to popular paint choice here.

Yeah, yeah. Answer the questions.

Oh, and can you recommend a nice, crisp white?
  • team47b
    People take MF seriously because in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king :D

Chenin blanc.
  • Garry H
    Merci senor.

"Snowflake"?