Front mech: Record or Chorus?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Apart from the carbon cage is there any difference other than £20.00 and 2 grams? Does one work better than the other? Im thinking that its not the best use of carbon judging by the state my Record cage has just got into.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The all important Record effect, if metal rubs against carbon then the results are not going to be good. Do not cross chain and you have your solution.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you are changing because you uglified your old mech then don't bother. Take the mech off and peel off the crappy factory lacquer (use a scalpel to slit it where it wraps round into the mech - you just need to get rid of the lacquer on the outer surface).

File the scuffed edge of the carbon bevelling it away from the bottom edge. You can lose a lot of material here without bother but you won't need to remove much and it doesn't need to be perfect.

When all is smooth, get a can of gloss lacquer, mask up the bits that don't need paint and put a good few coats on. Takes not much longer than this post took to write and it will look better than new. You still need to try to behave as per cycleclinics post but it will probably look better than the original finish for longer and be much easier to retouch again in future.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • There is no difference between a Nuovo Record of the 70s and a Super Record of the latest release, imagine the difference between the Chorus and Record of the same vintage
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    Rolf F wrote:
    If you are changing because you uglified your old mech then don't bother. Take the mech off and peel off the crappy factory lacquer (use a scalpel to slit it where it wraps round into the mech - you just need to get rid of the lacquer on the outer surface).

File the scuffed edge of the carbon bevelling it away from the bottom edge. You can lose a lot of material here without bother but you won't need to remove much and it doesn't need to be perfect.

When all is smooth, get a can of gloss lacquer, mask up the bits that don't need paint and put a good few coats on. Takes not much longer than this post took to write and it will look better than new. You still need to try to behave as per cycleclinics post but it will probably look better than the original finish for longer and be much easier to retouch again in future.
    I have already been through this process twice using car touch up lacquer, but this is deeper than usual and Im concerned that the side of the cage will now not be strong enough. Didn't cross the chain actually just got a bad change for some reason. Im thinking Chorus is a better design without the carbon unless the stiffness of the carbon makes a difference.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    The all important Record effect, if metal rubs against carbon then the results are not going to be good. Do not cross chain and you have your solution.
    Are your Sapim spoke drivers on Ebay OK with DT Swiss nipples?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • The all important Record effect, if metal rubs against carbon then the results are not going to be good. Do not cross chain and you have your solution.
    Are your Sapim spoke drivers on Ebay OK with DT Swiss nipples?

A nipple driver is a nipple driver, they re all the same. But don't waste money on the nipple insertion tool, it's crap and an old spoke does the job better
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have already been through this process twice using car touch up lacquer, but this is deeper than usual and Im concerned that the side of the cage will now not be strong enough. Didn't cross the chain actually just got a bad change for some reason. Im thinking Chorus is a better design without the carbon unless the stiffness of the carbon makes a difference.

Post a pic? I think you could lose a lot and it still be fine. But personally, I'd say that the carbon is a bit silly in that application and the Chorus is a better design.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    My nipple insertion tool is an old spoke too. The nipple drive will work with any nipple with nipple driver flats. How did we get on to that.

Nuovo record and super record front mech were separated by the black paint back in the 70's/80's. I have a super record mech on my Alan and I think I have super record cranks too. They differ from the Nuovo record by the style of the chain ring I think.

Campag have been very good over the years of changing little between the groups and charging alot more for it - The Record Effect.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.