Novatec D711/D712 - what bearings?

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited November 2013 in Cyclocross
So far this season I've trashed my BB bearings (BB30, so hardly a surprise) and the bearings in both jockey wheels, and my headset is sounding a bit suspect. This is without the assistance of a pressure washer, but it has been a rather muddy season. My wheels are fine, but I'd like to have some bearings "in stock" for when I need them. To save me taking the hubs to bits, does anyone know what bearings they take? My Google fu doesn't seem to be up to this one...
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• They are 15 x 28 x 7 mm front and rear.
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    Awesome, thanks muchly :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    Wondering what quality of bearings to get. Broadly speaking, the options are:
    "Budget" bearings - about 3 quid each, or £18 for a full set
    "Decent" SKF bearings - about 13 quid each, or £78 for a full set
    Stainless SKF bearings - about 26 quid each, or £156 for a full set

These bearings are going to have a hard life; at this time of year the hubs get covered with thick mud a couple of times a week, and then washed (albeit never with a pressure washer). I don't particularly mind replacing them frequently. Given the hubs were probably about £150 a set, I'm guessing they have bearings equivalent to the £3 jobs, and so far they run very smoothly. I certainly can't believe that, on a cross course, I'll go any faster with more expensive bearings.

Will I gain anything by buying the more expensive bearings, or should I just go down the budget route on the grounds that they'll get trashed anyway?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I did get the standard SKF... fitted them recently, so can't comment. Remember SKF bearings have more drag, because the seals are tighter

The rear has 4 bearings, only the main two are the size above, the others are the freehub bearings... were you planning on changing those too?
  • tgotb
    I did get the standard SKF... fitted them recently, so can't comment. Remember SKF bearings have more drag, because the seals are tighter

The rear has 4 bearings, only the main two are the size above, the others are the freehub bearings... were you planning on changing those too?
    Hmmm... Maybe I'll stick with the cheap ones; I suspect the better seals on the SKF ones probably won't make them last four times as long.

Not planning on changing any of the bearings right now, but I want to have at least one complete set available for when I do. I won't actually change the freehub bearings unless they need it...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Is there a standard bearing puller to get these cartridges out? When I search for bearing pullers all I seem to get is big kits of quite substantial cost.
  • PuttyKnees wrote:
    Is there a standard bearing puller to get these cartridges out? When I search for bearing pullers all I seem to get is big kits of quite substantial cost.

The answer is no
  • Urgh. Time to find a friend with one.
  • PuttyKnees wrote:
    Urgh. Time to find a friend with one.

You don't need it... the 712 has a slot for a 10 mm Allen Key in the axle, just slot it in and hammer on the Allen key, the bearing will pop out, then do the same on the opposite side