superstar switch evo bearing swap

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
As the title says really I'm changing the bearings on the front hub, which has a 15mm adapter. I've had a google and emailed SS who then sent me a dismantling guide. Problem is the guide skips the adapter removal bit and I can't seem to find anywhere on the web about removing them.

Just wondering if anyone out there knows how to do it or even better has any tips.

...Advice on the rest of the process would be apreciated aswell :wink:

IMAG0268_zps32239cfe.jpg

Comments

• Long, flat-bladed screwdriver and a hammer!!

The only way is to knock them out as above.

You'll then have to use the same screwdriver to push the inner tube aside so that you can knock the bearings out in the same way.
  • pesky_jones
    So does the screwdriver need to be long because the shaft of the screwdriver goes through the axle till it catches the opposite side of the adapter? Is the adapter one whole part that sits inside the axle? Or is it two seperate parts.

Thanks
  • So does the screwdriver need to be long because the shaft of the screwdriver goes through the axle till it catches the opposite side of the adapter? Is the adapter one whole part that sits inside the axle? Or is it two seperate parts.

Thanks

Yep, you need to put the screwdriver into one side of the axle to knock out the adaptor on the opposite side.

The adaptors come out very easily as they're only held in by an interference fit against a couple of O-Rings.

The bearings, on the other hand, are a much tighter fit and need a hefty whack as they're an interference fit of the outside of the bearing against the metal of the hub.

When the bearings come out they'll push out the housing that the adaptor sits in as well - I've not managed to find a way to get these out before-hand, the bearing just pushes them out when it comes out.

There is a knack - especially the bit where you have to push the spring-loaded inner axle to one side in order to expose the bearing edge that you then push against to knock it out - but once you've done it once it all makes sense.

I only did my wheels a couple of weeks ago, so if you need any more info just ask - whilst it's still fresh in my mind!!
  • kja
    kja Posts: 259
    You don't need a screwdriver to remove the adaptors. They are a tight fit but they just pull out. Wedge your finger in and yank the adaptor out.
  • pesky_jones
    Ive got the adpaters out, what's my next step? Don't really know any of the part names and can't see an easy qua of knocking then out... What's this about pushing the inner axle aside? There's only like 1mm of play I cab find anywhere
  • pesky_jones
    I can only push the inner axle like half a mm so the screwdriver keeps slipping off the bearing every time I knowck it, can't get enough surface to knock it out! Grr I thought this was supposed to be relatively easy
  • I filed down the tip of the screwdriver, so that it's only about 5mm wide. This helps to put more of the tip in contact with the bearing - don't be afraid to give it a good whack, I used a lump hammer!
  • pesky_jones
    I was being too pussy footed, took it to the mechanic to do it and he just did it with a harder whack. Should have listened to you and my pocket wouldbt be a tenner lighter