hi it about a flywheel on a mountain bike

christophermcharg
christophermcharg Posts: 10
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
hi if you don't have the tool to take of the flywheel can you use anything else it to replace the back axle

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hi if you don't have the tool to take of the flywheel can you use anything else it to replace the back axle
    mountain bikes dont have flywheels.

have a read http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I reckon you mean the freewheel?
    If so, you don't normally need to remove it to replace an axle (assuming cup-and-cone bearings, which any wheel old enough to take a freewheel (as opposed to a freehub cassette) will probably have).

Start again from the beginning, though - what are you actually trying to accomplish and why?
  • my back wheel on my bikes buckled and save buying a new wheel i thought i would change the axle
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That will fix a bent axle but not a buckled wheel which is the rim not being straight to the hub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    Oh :shock:
  • when i was in the bike shop getting a new chain and free wheel the guy said he shighting my back axle and it was not rubbing on the frame and i thought if i change my axle it would be ok
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What is shighting and axles shouldn't rub on frames.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i mean strighting and its my wheel what rubbing
  • cooldad
    So what is strighting? Do you mean straightening? If so what was he straightening? Presumably if something is still rubbing whatever wasn't very successful.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    If the tyre is rubbing on the frame just at some point/s in the wheel's rotation, then this is because the rim is buckled and the wheel needs "truing" (straightening) by adjusting the spoke tension (or possibly rebuilding the wheel with a new rim if it's damaged beyond repair).

If the axle is bent, then the tyre will probably be shifted toward one side of the frame, and will rub (or nearly rub) at all points around the rotation.
  • it was the axle he done and it the tyre whats rubbing
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So was it rubbing through the whole rotation, in which case bent axle and a new axle is the right fix, in which case the wheel wasn't buckled at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    it was the axle he done and it the tyre whats rubbing

If your English isn't good then maybe posting some pictures would help?
  • cooldad
    What has he done to the axle, and why didn't he just fix it?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • craker wrote:
    it was the axle he done and it the tyre whats rubbing

If your English isn't good then maybe posting some pictures would help?
    Agreed, please try and take a little more time with your typing, it's very difficult to understand what you're trying to explain.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20