Ridley Icarus(updated pics)

oldbazza
oldbazza Posts: 646
edited March 2014 in Your road bikes
Well another Ridley,after getting the previous one in the wrong size :roll: I purchased a new Icarus sls frameset and have spent the past couple of week-ends building it up using some parts from the other bike and some second-hand bits purchased from here and e-ghey.
It's the first time I've built a bike up from just a frameset so it's been a bit of a learning experience.It's not all done yet as there are a few tweaks to sort out(hence the bare cable ends etc) and I actually haven't ridden the bloody thing yet so there is still plenty of scope for things to go pear shaped :lol: .
The build was sort of inspired by a pic I saw of Jurgen van den Broeck's Helium training bike although the only thing mine has in common in reality is the Deda superzero seatpost :oops:.But it's as close as I'll probably ever get for the foreseable future and I hope to put a few miles on her over the next year or two.

10763126546_7a8012d787_c.jpg

10763127556_548d6bdeba_c.jpg

Oh and here's the inspiration(white lizard skins tape to come on mine :mrgreen: );

IMG_5837-1.jpg

Oh and if anyone is after a Ridley Pheaton frameset let us know as it will be on sale here soon :wink:
Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra

Comments

• that's v. nice
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • M Velo
    M Velo Posts: 79
    Love the colour combination. By the way, which handle bar is that
    ?
    Custom build Trek MTB
    Madone 6.9 => Madone 7series
  • Do you live in a French bistro?
  • oldbazza
    Do you live in a French bistro?

Ha no afraid not,it's a 50's ex-council house in Ely but I can see where you are coming from :) ;there's even a couple of French signs on the walls.
    Ta for the comments;had a very short ride today just to check it's not going to fall apart only to be curtailed by something falling apart :roll: ,a bolt on the superzero stem came lose meaning I had to search for about half an hour looking for one of the clamps in the verge.Found it though so will now check on the correct torque setting for them,otherwise all else stayed together so I now have to just tidy it up and double check all the bolts one more time :mrgreen: .

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    Not much seat post showing there. Was the last one too big or too small?
  • oldbazza
    That was a quick pic taken just after setting up the gears and I'd just popped the post in;still messing about with it all at the moment and not had a chance for a proper ride to fully test it out.

Oh and the last one was too big.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Maninder wrote:
    classic bend looks like

CAREFUL - I got massacred on here for having a classic bar and - <<whisper>> not having the bottom of the drops parallel with the ground - apparently it's the law

PS: nice bike.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Ackie
    Ackie Posts: 22
    Looks great. Is it a light? Also what seat post size does it take. 30.9mm or 31.6mm?
  • oldbazza
    Ackie wrote:
    Looks great. Is it a light? Also what seat post size does it take. 30.9mm or 31.6mm?

Sorry just seen this post :oops:

Thanks for the comments;it takes a 31.6 post and it weighed just under 9kg on the scales at work.

Still playing about with the saddle height which should be easier now I have the cycleops up and running.Might move the shifters up a bit as well.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • If sliding the shifters up the bars a bit helps you to rotate them down more I'd go for it. If only for aesthetics.

The bike looks great, really great. Ridleys always look more workmanlike that exotica like Baum, Cipollini or Feather but thank God for that. Cycling needs bikes that look like weapons as well as some fannying mincer's sunny Sunday special.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • oldbazza
    If sliding the shifters up the bars a bit helps you to rotate them down more I'd go for it. If only for aesthetics.

The bike looks great, really great. Ridleys always look more workmanlike that exotica like Baum, Cipollini or Feather but thank God for that. Cycling needs bikes that look like weapons as well as some fannying mincer's sunny Sunday special.

Thanks Jaques;must admit I've taken a liking to Ridleys and will one day hopefully own something like a Helium or Fenix(when those lottery numbers come in I should think),and the pic of the Lotto team bike helped strengthen that appeal looking as purposeful as it does in a slightly scruffy way.

As I said the positioning is still a work in project and it will need a new set of cables really as transfering the older ones over hasn't really worked,but things like that can wait until everything is set how I want(physically and aesthetically 8) ).

Oh and the bars are lower than that now and the seat post higher :)

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Cool. Any chance of the new pic with the mods? (and maybe with the chain in the BR?) Those cranks are da bizzle
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • oldbazza
    Cool. Any chance of the new pic with the mods? (and maybe with the chain in the BR?) Those cranks are da bizzle

Will do;probably won't be until next week-end at the earliest though and it won't have the shifter levers in the right place.
    Had an hour session on the turbo(first time!)and the position wasn't too bad;seat probably needs to come forward a bit and I've dropped the seat-post a tiny bit.Bars are now rolled down(it does look nicer as well) so I'll have to put up with the shifter position until I can splash out on some cables(going for a tiny bit of bling with some red Jagwire ends 8) )and also put the Lizard Skins white bar tape on.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • That Ridley is slammy. Andre would be proud to ride that "ja for sure!"
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • oldbazza
    That Ridley is slammy. Andre would be proud to ride that "ja for sure!"

Cheers,didn't think it was that low actually*;maybe I should get a gorilla sticker for it 8) .

*Unless of course you are referring to the pick of the 'works' bike :?:

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • vireo1
    vireo1 Posts: 100
    Beautiful. You cant go wrong with a Ridley, IMO.
  • oldbazza
    As promised some up to date pics taken quickly today(not the best location but I was in a rush),unfortunately there are some extra scuffs due to it getting blown over in the wind on Thursday.Anyway I hope you like;

11273752215_5a29c9deaf_c.jpg

11273796806_895acccf30_c.jpg

11273750195_3c451dc4fe_c.jpg

11273795906_71a4aed98c_c.jpg

11273748725_5ffbf4d294_c.jpg

And ready on the turbo;

11273893474_73d256e860_c.jpg

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza
    Looking fine. I'd get a garmin brand out front mount though - little less cumbersome.

Thanks;funny you should mention the mount,just been looking at these(not Garmin though);

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raceware-garmin ... -edge-800/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tate-labs-the-bar-fly-20/

Mainly got the one on the bike so I can lob one of my Cree torch lights on for the odd commute in the dark(can just fit the light and Garmin on),but I may get the above one or similar for next year when I won't need the lights.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza
    Yeah that one's second best option, just don't get a crappy one which will crack and ruin your garmin!

Just read some reviews of the first one which don't look too good;also seen some blingy covers for the Garmin itself as well 8) .

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza
    Thought I'd put some pics up of the Icarus in it's current form with the new Campy Zonda wheels which are currently running Michelin pro 4's as the Conti 25c's won't fit with the Roadracer 2's,also Lizard skins tape fitted(and getting grubby already),Planet X brakes(forged) and lights on for morning commutes.Also the stem has been dropped a bit more so the fork steerer will need cutting again and the Garmin now sits on a Racewear mount which fits underneath the fork cap;still not sure about this but at the moment it leaves the bars free to have the lights on,come the summer I may get an out front mount when the lights aren't needed.
    Oh and comes in at around 8.7kg with all that stuff on and it did it's first 50+ mile ride last week and enjoying some quick(for me) club runs.

12860204834_d000b1f48a_c.jpg

12860206864_da25879c4a_c.jpg

12859862833_9da799dedd_c.jpg

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    nice bike...
    nice tablecloth...
    all good.