Seatclamp size on 2006 Spesh Hardrock Disc

cmachine
cmachine Posts: 84
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. I'm looking to replace the seatclamp on a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc. I've removed it and measured and also the size is printed on the inside as 36.

36 currently seems like a very non-standard size on any of the sites I have looked at. I was hoping to replace with a Da Bomb seatclamp but they don't have that size, only 34.9
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/da-b ... -prod69877

or a Hope one at 36.4:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... -prod80495

Neither of these is bang on. Has anyone any experience of replacing the 06 Hardrock clamp and what would actually fit. I think the seatpost is pretty standard, just the seatclamp seems hard to come by. Any help welcome. cheers!
2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc (rebuilt)
2011 BeOne Karma Hardtail (disassembled!)
2012 Giant Anthem X4

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    36 would be unusual - sure it doesn't say 35, which would be 34.9?
    Or measure again
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12726337
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Weird it says 36 on the clamp as in my experience Specialized bikes use 34.9mm clamp... eg my old Demo and SX Trail did, as does the 13 Enduro Evo.

You can also look on the front mech, as it's the same diameter tube ;)

Pretty sure 34.9 is what you're after, but you could always order two and send one back as CRC are great for returns.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • yep cheers. Almost certain it said 36 but could just be scored and say 35, in which case 34.9 should be a correct fit then? I thought it was bit odd I couldn't find any 36mm since it is a really common bike.
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Just to confirm - clamp size on both my 2004 and 2007 models is 34.9mm so would be very surprised if 2006 is any different ;)
  • cool. Will order and post a pic of this bike when I FINALLY finish it. Going for a full rebuild in orange powder coat and metallic blue trim, new wheels/drivetrain/forks...the works. I love this bike. It may be entry-level but something I love about that fat tube and overall feel of riding the bike.
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • jimothy78
    CitizenLee wrote:

Actually, this doesn't work for the hardrock - the seat tube tapers sharply a few inches above the BB, so the mech actually needs shims to size it down a notch. Not sure why they chose to do it this way - it's damned annoying as it means you can only fit a low-band mech (high bands naturally fall at the point where the tube tapers).
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    That's always been the great thing about Specialized, their frames can last years.

Sounds like it will be a cracking bike once built so be sure to post it up in the Your Bike section once complete (or even whilst building!) ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    CitizenLee wrote:
    That's always been the great thing about Specialized, their frames can last years.
    Because none of the others made in the same factory by the same people do? (Riding 2 Carrera frames daily,a 2005 and a 2006 along with my 1997 town hack bike which is a GF).

Don't praise them for managing the same as everyone else!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

Actually, this doesn't work for the hardrock - the seat tube tapers sharply a few inches above the BB, so the mech actually needs shims to size it down a notch. Not sure why they chose to do it this way - it's damned annoying as it means you can only fit a low-band mech (high bands naturally fall at the point where the tube tapers).

Yep I noticed this about the seat tube tapering like that. Bit unusual but as long as I can get it fitted shouldn't be a hassle. Fitting it with mostly Deore drivetrain, with Spank stem, truativ bars, ragley seatpost & seat, ODI grips and nukeproof pedals. It will end up being the sort of bike I would just be scared to lock up anywhere...lol
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • jimothy78
    cmachine wrote:
    Yep I noticed this about the seat tube tapering like that. Bit unusual but as long as I can get it fitted shouldn't be a hassle.

Like I say, just make sure you have/get a low-band mech, as high-band ones simply won't fit.
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    cmachine wrote:
    Yep I noticed this about the seat tube tapering like that. Bit unusual but as long as I can get it fitted shouldn't be a hassle.

Like I say, just make sure you have/get a low-band mech, as high-band ones simply won't fit.

I had picked out this one hoping it would fit ok: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod69298
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea if jimothy is right, but this is the bottom clamp/top swing if he is.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod40545
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    cmachine wrote:
    I had picked out this one hoping it would fit ok: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod69298

Sorry, but I'm 99% sure that one won't fit, if you've already ordered it then you can always try it to make sure, though. Otherwise order the one cooldad links to, as I know that one will definitely fit.
  • cheers. Haven't ordered yet so thanks for the advice. Basically I'm not ordering any of the expensive components (wheels/forks) or drivetrain stuff until the bike is powder coated. Then I will know if it's a "go" or not.
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • jimothy78
    cmachine wrote:
    cheers. Haven't ordered yet so thanks for the advice. Basically I'm not ordering any of the expensive components (wheels/forks) or drivetrain stuff until the bike is powder coated. Then I will know if it's a "go" or not.
    ok, just sent you a pm about some bits I have that might be of use to you.
  • cheers for the parts info. Here's the spec as it stands now. I started this back in July I think and posted about it on the forum back then but various things happened and only getting round to it now. Stuff I have already bought include: ODI SDG grips, Nukeproof Neutron flat pedals, Ragley Cheeky saddle. I'm re-using Avid Juicy 3.5s which I put on the bike years ago but everything else will be brand new. Keeping the old rear mech hangar and the cable pull thing (not sure what it is called) under the BB.

You will see 2 x cranksets in here as I'm torn over the double vs triple. I would be keen to know if the headset will fit. I think the one on the bike is a Cane Creek conventional threadless and I hope the Octane One I have specced below is conventional threadless also. Wheelsets & forks have been a bit of a trial since 9mmQR and non-tapered forks seem harder to get and are looking like old standards now.

> >
    Spank Spoon Stem 2014

Spank Spoon Stem 2014
    Blue,31.8mm,40mm,1.1/8"
    sku245776
    From £32.99

> >
    Shimano SLX M663 Shadow 10sp Rear Mech

Shimano SLX M663 Shadow 10sp Rear Mech
    sku187972
    From £32.49

> >
    Shimano Deore M610 10 Speed Triple Chainset

Shimano Deore M610 10 Speed Triple Chainset
    104mm,Silver,175mm,48.36.26t
    sku383485
    From £64.99

> >
    SRAM PC1051 10 Speed Chain

SRAM PC1051 10 Speed Chain
    Silver
    sku185389
    From £15.99

> >
    Shimano Deore M610 10 Speed Trigger Shifter

Shimano Deore M610 10 Speed Trigger Shifter
    Black,Pair - Front & Rear - Bar Mount
    sku389866
    From £42.99

> >
    Truvativ Stylo T30 Riser Bars 2012

Truvativ Stylo T30 Riser Bars 2012
    Blast Black,31.8mm,20mm,700mm
    sku258015
    From £27.74

> >
    Brand-X Bottle Cage Bolts 6061 Alloy

Brand-X Bottle Cage Bolts 6061 Alloy
    Royal Blue,2 x 15mm
    sku317851
    From £2.99

> >
    Lizard Skins Leather Chain Stay Protector & 2 Patches

Lizard Skins Leather Chain Stay Protector & 2 Patches
    Black
    sku32094
    From £6.99

> >
    Clarks Universal Inner Gear Wire

Clarks Universal Inner Gear Wire
    Stainless Steel,2275mm
    sku167678
    From £1.99

> >
    Shimano Deore HG62 10 Speed MTB Cassette

Shimano Deore HG62 10 Speed MTB Cassette
    Silver,11-34t
    sku264786
    From £23.49

> >
    Da Bomb Bomb QR Clamp 2013

Da Bomb Bomb QR Clamp 2013
    Royal Blue,34.9mm
    sku266582
    From £14.49

> >
    Octane One Warp 1 Sealed Headset 2013

Octane One Warp 1 Sealed Headset 2013
    Blue,1.1/8"
    sku178404
    From £25.49

> >
    Ragley Spike Alloy Seatpost 2014

Ragley Spike Alloy Seatpost 2014
    Blue,30.9mm,400mm
    sku368767
    From £24.99
    RRP £24.99

> >
    Shimano Deore M615 10 Speed Double Chainset

Shimano Deore M615 10 Speed Double Chainset
    104mm,Silver,175mm,38.24t
    sku389844
    From £64.99
    RRP £89.99 |Save 28.00%
    In stock

Quantity
    Remove |

> >
    Mavic Crossride Disc MTB Wheelset 2014

Mavic Crossride Disc MTB Wheelset 2014
    Black,QR Front & 135mm x QR Rear,26"
    sku337431
    From £169.99

> >
    RockShox Reba RL Solo Air Forks - 9mmQR 2014

RockShox Reba RL Solo Air Forks - 9mmQR 2014
    Diffusion Black,9mm QR,100mm,1.1/8",26"
    sku392956
    From £319.99

> >
    Shimano Deore M590 Top Swing 9sp Front Mech

Shimano Deore M590 Top Swing 9sp Front Mech
    Black,Top Swing,34.9mm,
    sku144714
    From £17.99
    RRP £29.99 |Save 40.00%
    In stock

Quantity
    Remove |
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • jimothy78
    cmachine wrote:
    You will see 2 x cranksets in here as I'm torn over the double vs triple.
    Like I said in my pm this morning, I really think that if you're trying to get down to a 12kg build, you should consider 1x10 with narrow-wide ring and no guide, as that will represent a significant weight saving over any multi-ringed setup.
    I would be keen to know if the headset will fit. I think the one on the bike is a Cane Creek conventional threadless and I hope the Octane One I have specced below is conventional threadless also.

Yes, as far as I can see there should be no problem there.
    Wheelsets & forks have been a bit of a trial since 9mmQR and non-tapered forks seem harder to get and are looking like old standards now.

You will need a straight (1 1/8") steerer, but you don't need to stick to 9mm axles - there's no reason you can't use a 15mm or 20mm axle as long as the wheel and fork you choose both use the same standard.
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    cmachine wrote:
    You will see 2 x cranksets in here as I'm torn over the double vs triple.
    Like I said in my pm this morning, I really think that if you're trying to get down to a 12kg build, you should consider 1x10 with narrow-wide ring and no guide, as that will represent a significant weight saving over any multi-ringed setup.

I'm afraid I couldn't manage the 1x10 as the bike will be used for some steep climbs and also used to get me to/from some local trails on roads. As long as the bike ends up lighter than it was before (13.7kg) I will be happy!
    I would be keen to know if the headset will fit. I think the one on the bike is a Cane Creek conventional threadless and I hope the Octane One I have specced below is conventional threadless also.

Yes, as far as I can see there should be no problem there.

Grand. Hoped this bit was correct.
    Wheelsets & forks have been a bit of a trial since 9mmQR and non-tapered forks seem harder to get and are looking like old standards now.

You will need a straight (1 1/8") steerer, but you don't need to stick to 9mm axles - there's no reason you can't use a 15mm or 20mm axle as long as the wheel and fork you choose both use the same standard.

This did cause me some confusion when speccing forks & wheels so I know now the wheel/forks standard match. I was unsure about what I can run on the rear axle as the width on frame is 135mm but I think that's pretty standard. Do some wheelsets come with 15mm or 20mm adapters? I've heard that some Mavic sets do. Cheers
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • jimothy78
    Generally wheelsets these days are available in a variety of axle options, and many do have swappable adapters that can be used to change them to suit other standards (although I don't think many come with those included - they're generally aftermarket purchases, as it's assumed you buy the version you need in the first instance).

The rear wheel axle is dictated by the frame, and you will indeed need 135mmx10mm. However, that doesn't limit your front wheel options at all - decide which standard you want to use (ie which wheellset you want), then buy a fork which can accept that standard.

You're right that 9mm QR on the front is becoming a less standard "standard" these days - 15mm through-axles probably represent the best option for your build, so you could maybe look for wheelsets that give 10mm QR rear, 15mm front, as an option, and then buy 15mm forks to match.
  • thanks ! Very useful info. One final question on the front mech. Would this slightly cheaper one also fit ok? I'm trying to spec the bike for 10 speed either double or triple. Seems to be top swing and allow low pull:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod69297
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
  • jimothy78
    cmachine wrote:
    thanks ! Very useful info. One final question on the front mech. Would this slightly cheaper one also fit ok? I'm trying to spec the bike for 10 speed either double or triple. Seems to be top swing and allow low pull:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod69297

yep - that should work. Choose the 31.8mm version to get the right size shims.