The Crudders 2013 Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Wow didn't think he would actually move to Ferrari! Not sure how the two will get on together? I can possibly see Alonso moving back to Lotus after a year (how long is his contract with Farrari?). They have been getting more competitive each season. Maybe next year with all the changes it might help Lotus to be at the top more enticing Alonso to move over?
  • I dont think it is actually officially confirmed yet. Nothing that i have read says that "ferrari have said" or "kimi has said" and i have read alot of stuff on this.

He has apparently signed for one year but Ferrari have apparently offered him an option to extend his contract.

Alonso will stay, that is definite. My guess is that Massa will go to Lotus because he said that he wants a car capable of winning races and fighting for the title, and the next vacant seat is (or will be) Lotus. Any other team is not really going to be winning a race of fighting for a title. Mercedes, Redbull and McLaren are keeping the same drivers, if im not wrong, the drivers for those teams still have contracts that extend past the 2014 season.
  • Oh, pressed F5 on planetf1.com a minute ago and this popped up :D

Official: Kimi returns to Ferrari

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/89163 ... To-Ferrari
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    agreed, bad move by Kimi but its going to be fun watching it implode.
    the Hulk to go to Lotus, i reckon and confirmed by the next race.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    agreed, bad move by Kimi but its going to be fun watching it implode.

I think its a great move, now that the red bull sit has been taken. Lotus are in trouble they have lost a lot of the tech team, have a reported significant shortage of cash and a car that is slowly losing pace.

Kimi can go to Ferrari and if he shines its because he is brilliant and if he doesn't blame the car set-up/team moral/just shrug his shoulders and drink - the advantage of a short term contract, all the problems are someone else's.

Plus if he is getting divorced - he will want the cash!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Next year will be a huge shake-up, there is a huge fundamental change about to hit with the engine manufacturers, watch this space.
    Living MY dream.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    VTech wrote:
    Next year will be a huge shake-up, there is a huge fundamental change about to hit with the engine manufacturers, watch this space.

Hopefully so, getting bored of watching the race for 2nd place in the championship - I think the move may make Hamilton look insightful with his move to merc
  • VWsurfbum
    Yeah the turbo engines are going to be fun glorious fun watching them give up!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Yeah the turbo engines are going to be fun glorious fun watching them give up!

+999999!! My thoughts exactly. Im just worried about the sound they will make tbh. V6? :/
  • VWsurfbum
    A bit like a cat with its tail on fire.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Good news for F1 in general! Can't imagine F1 without a single Brazilian driver on the grid, that's just wrong!
  • VWsurfbum
    LOL. personally next season cant come quick enough and forget about what a dismal year this has been for non racing.
    Maldonado still not signed anywhere, so maybe a force india drive then DiResta might get the Lotus drive?
    I think the Hulk should stay at Sauba?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lawman
    Hulkenburg to Lotus is pretty much signed I think. Sauber have Sergei Sirotkin next season, I imagine Guterriez will keep his place. Which leaves Force India as the only option for Maldonado, and given the choice between him and Di Resta there's no contest. Maldonado brings very little to F1 other than sponsorship, fast but far too erratic and zero consistency.
  • Kimi is out of the remaining two races, he is having a back operation. Im glad that Massa is staying in F1!

Im just hoping that Maldonado doesnt get a seat at all. He is the worst driver on the grid in my opinion. Even Max Chilton is better than him (Max broke a record last race, the most race finishes consecutively in a rookie season) Best of luck to him in finishing a whole season with 0 DNFs.

Looking forward to seeing a fit and well Kimi in a Ferrari next year. I shall be routing for Grosjean and Valsecchi this weekend. Ive been impressed by Grosjean this year, he has really upped his game. He made a couple of races a bit more interesting this season, giving the more established drivers a run for thier money.

Its a big chance for Davide Valsecchi. He will 100% not get a better chance to prove himself. He has very big shoes to fill though :D
  • Yup, Grosjean has been an interesting watch this season.

I'd really like to see Vettel move teams (never going to happen though is it..). I want to see how fast he is in a different car.

Biggest dissapointment for me has been Button. He moans like a little girl every race, drives with no commitment and blames the car for everything.
  • Vettel isnt a legend until he wins a championship or gets very close to winning a championship in another car. But youre right, he wont move.

Thats why i admire Hamilton. He left one of the most successful teams in F1 history who had one of the fastest cars in 2012 to go to a team that was clearly struggling. The reason i admire him for that is because he had the balls to try and prove himself, and to improve a struggling team.
  • lawman
    I don't think Hamilton's ever had to prove himself. He took on Alonso at McLaren at a time when he was the reigning double world champion and it was only sheer poor luck that cost him the title to Raikkonen and a record that would have likely stood forever as the only rookie to win the World Championship. I think both Hamilton and Alonso know where they stand, as equals, Hamilton as a better flat out racer, Alonso as the more calculated, consistant driver. Where does Vettel stand? Well maybe we'll never find out, maybe he'll never be in the same car as Alonso or Hamilton, but lets be honest, as long as Newey is there, he has it pretty easy at Red Bull and a truly great driver excels outside his comfort zone.
  • lawman
    McLaren have also replaced Perez with Magnussen for 2014 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24903504
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Four titles on the bounce puts him as a great driver to me. Regardless. Still have to have the balls and drive to do it.
  • VWsurfbum
    lawman wrote:
    McLaren have also replaced Perez with Magnussen for 2014 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24903504
    Its an interesting move this, I still dont rate the whinging pom and i believe Perez was the better racer?
    Been away from the scene a bit in the last few years so dont know much about Magnussen, so will hopefully show the aging button up even more than perez did.

As much as i think Vettel hasnt achieved legendary status, the tale of the tape says something different. no i dont think his the most gifted, no i dont think he would beat Alonso or Lewis in a straight out fight but he's in the right car at the right time, and thats what F1 is all about. Lets face it, there's no other reason Button would of won a chapionship
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • I think Hamilton needs to prove himself again too though.
    He's not in the best car, but he almost tries too hard. Talks the talk but has only brought it home once. The likes of Alonso, Massa, Kimi and Webber are just in a different class.
    I've never rated him tbh, but that may be because he's a bit of a tw@.
  • VWsurfbum
    but that may be because he's a bit of a tw@.
    I think before this year i would of defended him quite vigorously but he's had a touch of the buttons about him this year.
    I think it has showed how good actually Nico is too.
    I really hope these new rule changes will shake the grid up somewhat.

I may even put a little money on williams being back in the hunt?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Hamilton was unlucky to lose the championship, and he was also lucky to win it aswell. Timo Glock had a problem with his car on the last lap and that allow hamilton past.

Word is that Heikki Kovalinen is in the run to replace Kimi for the last 2 races. I doubt it, eventhough it would be good. I would like him to be on the grid next year which is also unlikely.

Lotus apparently have 4 candidates for the vacant seat. Maldonado, Hulkenberg, and the other two they arent saying anything about.

I doubt Williams will be back in the hunt.
  • VWsurfbum
    They have good previous experience with turbo'd cars?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Yeah but they are so far behind everyone else, its going to be a very tall order to get anywhere near challenging for the title.
  • VWsurfbum
    true they have spent a long time behind, i wonder how much all the teams have focused on next year rather than trying to keep up with the redbull's?
    I can wait to see the epic failures of the new cars when they begin testing, Turbo's and F1, Cant wait!!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I wouldn't rule out Williams from improving, I do t see them near the front too much but I expect them to be stronger. These are big rule changes for next year, big changes to exhausts again which should hopefully reduce red bulls dominance, I think there may be a few surprises at the start of the year and I'm expecting a close championship and hopefully a return to form for Mclaren too
  • VWsurfbum
    yeah you got to expect Mclaren in the mix, more so when they get Honda engines from 2015
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • I think Redbull will benefit from next years exhaust regulations. Theres no more Coanda system, the exhaust must come through the centre line of the car, and only one outlet is allowed. This will probably bring exhaust blown diffusers back in, and if i remember correctly, Redbull were very successful with that.

Im waiting for the huge amount of failiures too. And there is a maximum fuel limit next year, whereas this year teams could put as much fuel as they wanted in the cars so they were pretty much guaranteed to finish the race. So dont rule out seeing cars running out of fuel, especially in the first few races.

Im just scared that we are gonna see so many crappy straight line overtakes with the KERS being almost 3 times as powerful...