Tiagra shifter only good for 1 click

snipsnap
snipsnap Posts: 259
edited November 2013 in Workshop
As the subject says, my tiagra shifter that operates the rear mech will currently only shift one gear up and one gear down.

I have tried the barrel adjuster thinking perhaps the tension was too tight/slack but no joy. Bit of research on google said perhaps the shifter was full of gunk, so given it a good spray with gt85. Same problem.

The shifter will click once and move the rear mech one gear then nothing when pressed. The rear mech doesn't move at all. It will move back up however, but no other gears are available.

Any ideas to try before seeking professional assistance?

Thanks

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Disconnect the cable from the rear mech and try clicking. You can also try moving the rear mech to ensure its free. It could be a jammed cable too.
  • snipsnap
    Thanks for the quick response. How do I move the rear mech to ensure its free? Give it a shove?

Sorry for being so thick!
  • I think the OP means disconnect your rear cable to remove cable tension and see if your shifter clicks more than once
  • snipsnap
    Really grateful for the responses. Bit clueless with this one!

Thanks again......
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, you need to narrow down where the problem is - although this time of year it's probably that the mech is all gummed up

Undo the cable and see if you can move the derailleur by hand - should be pretty easy.

Now try the shifter- if that clicks easily then it's probably the mech. If it doesn't then check the cable first - should be easy to slide up and down the housing.

Once you've worked out which of the three it is try and free it up.

You can strip a mech right down and basically get it back to new - bit fiddly but ParkTool.com has full instructions.

If it's the shifters then just flush with lubricant and check for a frayed cable at that end.

If it's the cable then clean the out and make sure there are no kinks. Probably worth replacing the cable once you've gone to all that trouble.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • snipsnap
    Gave all this a try today.
    The rear mech would move if I give it a shove, so I ruled that out.

The shifter however doesn't click even with the able disconnected. There doesn't feel like it's doing anything at all when depressed, so have a feeling that it's the shifter.

Will see if I can get the shifter checked out this week. Thanks again for the help
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    When you say, with the cable disconnected have you pulled the cable all the way out of the shifter before checking it?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Fifty quid says the cable is frayed to buggery inside the shifter. (happened twice on my 105 front shifter now) You've disconnected it from the rear mech? Now pull it back through the outers / cable stops as far as you can. Pull the brake lever and push the inner wire towards the shifter. Peer inside and see if you can see the nipple located in the shifter; you might be able to help it out by grabbing with fine nosed pliers or tweezers. If in doubt refer to the service instructions for your shifters on Shimano Tech Docs

http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

Last time it happened to me the inner first frayed then snapped completely. Had to take the shifter off the bars to fish out the severed nipple and retrieve all the bits of wire with tweezers
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Tiagra shifters have been known for the cable nipple to come off the guide inside the shifter. You need to peel the hood off and check this hasn't happened as that can prevent the shifter going through the full range of gears. If it has come off, it's simply a case of undoing it from the mech at the other end and jiggling the cable around to push it back into the guide.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • snipsnap
    Thanks for the help on this. Will check it out when time/light permits.
    In the mean time I've had to bring the fast bike out for commuting duties. Oh what a shame! ;-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    philthy3 wrote:
    Tiagra shifters have been known for the cable nipple to come off the guide inside the shifter. You need to peel the hood off and check this hasn't happened as that can prevent the shifter going through the full range of gears. If it has come off, it's simply a case of undoing it from the mech at the other end and jiggling the cable around to push it back into the guide.

Good point; my tiagra 9 speed front shifter did that a couple of months ago!