Merida cyclocross 3 vs 4

friedpizzainbatter
friedpizzainbatter Posts: 166
edited December 2013 in Cyclocross
Already posted in commuting, but noticed this forum and thought it might be more apt, so apologies if you've read this twice :oops:

I'm looking to get a bike for my commute, having been scared off using my carbon road bike (it's going to be benched till the weather gets better).

I've decided on the Merida Cyclocross, but I'm not sure whether to go the £200 extra for the 4 and wondered if anyone has experience. The differences seem to be
Tiagra vs 105
FSA Omega MegaExo vs FSA Gossamer MegaExo.
CC Alloy-D Fork vs Carbon cyclo cross fork
Hayes CX Comp 160/140 mm vs Hayes CX Expert 160/140 mm
Alloy Disc QR Hubs vs Road Disc Bearing Hubs

Anyone got any experience of the bikes and or components. I've used both tiagra and 105 and like them both so it's really coming down to the other bits which I don't really know about.

It's going to do a lot of miles so comfort is a big part of it.

Thanks for reading.
Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
"When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"

Comments

• Update, been to LBS they can't get the 4 in. Really the bit I'm worried about is the alloy fork as I'm prone to carpal tunnel and have heard they're quite a bit rougher than a carbon fork.

So my next question, does anyone have experience of both carbon and alloy forks on a cyclocross, and is there a huge difference?

I'm starting to wonder if I should get the Boardman CX team from Halfords.
  • Been a commuting to work for three years on a cyclo cross 3 and used it for some great off roading in that time as well. The grin factor is fantastic and I've now flogged my MTB.

If you feel you want to spend the extra, fair does, but it can't be that much more fun than the CX3.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I work for a shop that sells merida and after seeing them both at the show I would say its a no brainer

You get so much more spec on the 4
    The carbon fork is a big help with comfort, 105 will last longer and the wheelset on the 4 has some decent sealed hubs
    And I thin it looks nicer
  • Thanks for the replies. The 4 was my first choice, unfortunately they were out of stock at my LBS until next year.
    I ended up getting a boardman team cx at the weekend.
  • A boardman? :cry: i'm sad for you

Don't be sad for me dude, be happy. Think puppies, flowery meadows, cream buns and tea on the lawn. :lol:

puppy.jpeg
  • yay puppies!!!

Oh now i'm thinking about all the puppies they slaughter to make just one boardman bike. i'm sad again
  • Noooooooooo! The saddle was a tad fluffy, I thought it was muppet fur. :(

You can be happy again. My boardman developed the cracked seatpost/paint issue that seems to be a fault with lots of the 2014 models. I got a refund and it looks like I'm going to get the Merida from my LBS.
  • yay!
    Didn't know there were problem with them.