Dolan Ares SL

ScudULike
ScudULike Posts: 19
edited May 2014 in Your road bikes
Pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/108382704@N05/10810069664/

Just delivered (box still in background) - immensely excited... Hope the picture linky works.

Frame: Dolan Ares SL 56cm White/Red/Carbon weave
Forks: Carbon Blade SL
Bars: Deda RHM01 42cm
Stem: Deda 12cm
Headset: Alpina 1/8" 3-10mm Carbon
Bar Tape: Deda Night Black

Front Brake Lever: SRAM Red
Front Caliper: SRAM Red
Rear Brake Lever: SRAM Red
Rear Caliper: SRAM Red

Shifters: SRAM Red 22
Cables: Internal Routing
Front Mech: SRAM Red 22
Rear Mech: SRAM Red 22

Seat: San Marco Zoncolan
Seat Post: Carbon SL Seatpost
Seat Post Clamp: 34.9mm Seatclamp

Cranks: SRAM Red
Chainring(s): Red 22 175 50/34 BB30
Chain: SRAM PC 1170 PowerChain
Cassette: PG 1170 11-28 (Sorry)
Pedals: Look Keo 2 Max CroMo
Bottom Bracket: Red BB30

Front Wheel: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S
Tyre: Mavic Yksion Pro Griplink 23mm (To be changed)

Back Wheel: Mavic Ksyrium Elite S
Tyre: Mavic Yksion Pro Griplink 23mm (To be changed)

Accessories: None (Bottle cages to be added later)

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Looks really nice.
  • Nice
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Great looking bike...

Looks like it wants to go fast.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Looks really nice! Just one thing, those are Sram not Rotor 3D cranks
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    matt-h wrote:
    Oh that is nice

Matt

Agree!
  • Cool, I've seen a lot of these at sportives up in Manchester/Cheshire, really like them.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • andytee87 wrote:
    Looks really nice! Just one thing, those are Sram not Rotor 3D cranks

Many thanks, was cribbing from another post and forgot to alter the Cranks line - now done.
  • Great looking bike...

Looks like it wants to go fast.

From the brief 3 careful local miles I did at the weekend (under the auspices of "quality testing") it was really keen to accelerate! As it will have my lardy body on though it will get precious few chances of real speed in the future.

My previous bike was also a Dolan (Mythos) with SRAM Apex and whilst it is a very nice bike the difference of the Red was instantly noticeable - changing up & down was v crisp & purposeful and super braking power...
  • lovely bike, well done sir!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Gawjus :D
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    That really is a looker!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Lots of nice...
  • Great to hear of another Ares owner on here. I took delivery of a matt black Ares in July. Ultegra rather than RED, 3T carbon seat post and stealth stem (installed after I received it), Spesh Romin Pro saddle and carbon Ultegra SPD-SL pedals. I rode back from Cologne in Germany on it a few weeks after I had it and the bike was AMAZING! Whatever you're doing it's quick, and when you want to descent fast then it comes into its own. The handling is sublime. And, as it's a Dolan (and Terry is a top bloke BTW!) there ain't many of them on the road. I do feel like I'm wasting it using it for the commute, but as it's 18 miles each way I'll take my miles on the bike where I can get them. Welcome to Club Ares... :D
  • keefsloan wrote:
    Great to hear of another Ares owner on here. I took delivery of a matt black Ares in July. Ultegra rather than RED, 3T carbon seat post and stealth stem (installed after I received it), Spesh Romin Pro saddle and carbon Ultegra SPD-SL pedals. I rode back from Cologne in Germany on it a few weeks after I had it and the bike was AMAZING! Whatever you're doing it's quick, and when you want to descent fast then it comes into its own. The handling is sublime. And, as it's a Dolan (and Terry is a top bloke BTW!) there ain't many of them on the road. I do feel like I'm wasting it using it for the commute, but as it's 18 miles each way I'll take my miles on the bike where I can get them. Welcome to Club Ares... :D

It is an honour to be part of "Club Ares", I had my first proper ride on mine at the weekend (as it was nice & dry) with a mooch to Richmond Park & back home. The bike didn't want to "mooch" though and was increasingly tempted to put the hammer down...

I echo your comments about Terry Dolan, when I went up to the shop/factory for my fitting in October he spent at least 1.5 hours with me and took me on a tour of his factory and was full of conversation & great insight. No tape measures were needed for the fitting, he got all of my measurements correct just by looking at me...

Whilst there are a number really great independant bike shops & assemblers around, Dolan is definitely in that list and should definitely be considered...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've just bought an Ares SL frameset in the gloss carbon to upgrade my winter bike. I couldn't believe the price at £450 for full carbon fibre with integral cabling. I'll be transferring the bits from my Trek 1.5 to the Dolan but can't help wondering how close it will be to the Basso's performance and craftsmanship.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/clearance/fr ... -44cm.html
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • casatikid
    casatikid Posts: 229
    Looking at one of these bikes myself.What was the total build weight.?
  • supergrass
    supergrass Posts: 123
    I really want one, My misses has agreed to let me get one for my 40th next January but the colour scheme i wanted(The old An Post) will be no more.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bi ... arbon.html
  • keefsloan
    keefsloan Posts: 29
    Using the bathroom scale technique, my Ares came in at under 8kg as ordered. But, with the after market saddle, seat post etc. added it's now about 7.7kg. Light enough (I weigh 89kgs and am 193cm so I'm never going to go toe to toe with Quintana!). Just fitted a Stages crank last week and am loving training and riding with power. Nothing else I want for it now (although I do have to keep talking myself out of a set of DA C50 clinchers...purely for cosmetic reasons!)
  • Rynodinio081
    Rynodinio081 Posts: 122
    what stages power meter do you have to the sram red chainset? i assume rival? anyway to get it to match?