Shifter advices

Bushy88
Bushy88 Posts: 9
edited November 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,

Is there much of a real world difference between sram x7 and x9 shifters?

I currently have 2011 spec x7 shifters on my ghost RT Lector but would like to upgrade, i was looking at x0 shifters but as far as i can tell the 2014 spec x9 shifters share all the same goodies.

As you can tell I'm pretty clueless so anymore info on the x7 vs x9 vs x0 would be great as the sram website doesn't help much.

Also which makes more difference to shifting performance, derailuer or shifters? (Currently sram x9 2011spec)

Thanks in advance, Matt

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do a forum search. This has been discussed a few times recently.
  • All I can say is I am very happy with 2012 x9. They do the job well , cable change is very simple no messing about unscrewing top cap as have external port covered with a rubberised flap. Best recommendation is I don't notice them and feel no urgency to upgrade.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cable change is very simple no messing about unscrewing top cap as have external port covered with a rubberised flap

X7 has that too.
  • Smashed my x7 rear shifter recently (it was circa 2007), and replaced it with a new X9. Really like the feel of it in comparison. However, I'm not sure if the new x7 would have been similar or not!

I got the x9 for a price similar to the x7. It's matched to a newish x7 derailleur.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Cheers for the replies guys. After reading the other thread i think i may spend the extra on an xo but only get the right hand shifter as i rarely use the lefthand.