CX team paint issue after one ride!

hanhamreds
hanhamreds Posts: 100
edited November 2013 in Cyclocross
Hi all - thi sis my first post.

I bought this bike last week, yet after just one ride I noticed that the outers are rubbing the paint of my front forks.

is anyone else having this issue.

I noticed that this bike had a recall early Oct for a "minor cosmetic issue"

Comments

• Everybody is having this issue. If it bothers you google "helicopter tape"
    left the forum March 2023
  • I few chaps in work has just made me aware of this tape. I will buy some but i want the forks or bike replaced first.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    hanhamreds wrote:
    I few chaps in work has just made me aware of this tape. I will buy some but i want the forks or bike replaced first.

See if you can get it replaced on the recall, but otherwise cable-rub doesn't really justify a warranty replacement.
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    If it's really just a week old the paint is not really fit for purpose.
  • 16mm wrote:
    If it's really just a week old the paint is not really fit for purpose.

exactly my thoughts.

basically the first week went like this...

bike bought on the 31st Oct and I road it backk home from the store - about 4 miles.

Sat 2nd, went for a 35 bike ride (2 tunnel route in bath and along cannals), after this I noticed the problem.

I know paint can rub off after some time but not after one short ride back from the shop and a moderate ride two days later.

My old GT avalanche 2.0 has not such issues.
  • If you ride a CX bike as a CX bike and not a cafe-and-back bike, then it will rub off in no time. My frame is 2 months old and I have taped the bits which are wearing out fast.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your bike and I would wait a bit longer before getting a new one under warranty. If there is a recall, then take advantage of it, otherwise wait and see if the paint really flakes off or it's just rubbing. It can be a PITA to go through the process and you will get exactly the same thing (unless there is a specific recall for a specific problem).
    left the forum March 2023
  • If you ride a CX bike as a CX bike and not a cafe-and-back bike, then it will rub off in no time. My frame is 2 months old and I have taped the bits which are wearing out fast.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your bike and I would wait a bit longer before getting a new one under warranty. If there is a recall, then take advantage of it, otherwise wait and see if the paint really flakes off or it's just rubbing. It can be a PITA to go through the process and you will get exactly the same thing (unless there is a specific recall for a specific problem).

yeah but after a resonable period of time, not after one ride. In fact I bet (if I'd looked) the issue was already there after the ride home from the shop - not acceptable.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If you ride a CX bike as a CX bike and not a cafe-and-back bike, then it will rub off in no time.
    This. If you really want to keep your CX bike looking pristine, best bet is to take it home from the shop inside your car, and then hang it straight up on the wall of your living room. Might also be a good idea to cover in bubble wrap before putting it in the car, just in case.

By the time I'd ridden my new CX bike three times it had chain slap marks on the chainstay, scuffs on the cranks, heel scuffs on the outside of the chainstays, stained bar tape (despite originally being black), a missing bar end cap, worn out brake pads and a bent mech hanger. I wouldn't be surprised if the headset bearings are in trouble either, though I haven't had a chance to check them. It's what happens to CX bikes...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just touch it up yourself with a bit of smoothrite. It'll be fine.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There is no way this is a warranty issue, ask your LBS nicely and they might give you some carbon effect cable rub patches. You bought a bicycle, not an ornament!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Warranty issse for cable rub? Every bike has that problem, which is why we use helicopter tape on crucial parts.
  • Bike got replaced last saturday.

also looks like the cables sit higher than the last bike.

I've stuck some heli tape on the forks anyway.