Just finished building this hybrid...

captain_vimes
captain_vimes Posts: 262
edited November 2013 in Commuting general
Needing an all-rounder for trips to the shops and the occasional commute to the train station, I decided I could use some new or nearly parts I had accumulated from other builds, plus a few sale purchases, to build this little beauty. Really pleased with the way it rides, and it is unique!

The frame is double butted steel, mostly Shimano group-set, tektro brakes, Maddux wheels and a bit of Cannondale and Charge thrown in. Currently runs as a nine speed, but have the option of using the triple front rings if I need to.

Cost me about £250 in total and I intend to ride it into the ground!

CIMG8897_zps951febbe.jpg

CIMG8898_zps076bf8ca.jpg

CIMG8900_zps75b90eb3.jpg

CIMG8903_zps2fadfde1.jpg

Comments

• Very clean looking build but the bend on the front guard irk's me.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • WHich guards are they? I'm currently thinking about "commuterising" an old Marin Pine Mountain for general duties - adding guards, racks, etc.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Now that's special - chapeau that man. Fantastic build.
  • Yossie
    Bump as its so cool. Especially the paint can cum side stand ...............
  • Yossie
    Bump.
  • WHich guards are they? I'm currently thinking about "commuterising" an old Marin Pine Mountain for general duties - adding guards, racks, etc.

The guards are unbranded, I think I got them on eBay for about £15 and have had them in the garage for a while. However I have just picked up a much nicer set so will fit them and post a new pic. You can then have these if you want for a nominal sum! :)
  • Stealthtastic!
  • Finished now!

Better fitting mud-guards, Suntour single chain-ring and front rack fitted.

Perfect for the six mile round trip to the shops. :D

CIMG9114_zpsc1660e02.jpg

CIMG9113_zpsb1e80728.jpg

CIMG9110_zpse8c7928f.jpg

CIMG9117_zps0081a956.jpg
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Wow, glad you took my feed back on board, looks much better now with the single ring and bash guard.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    M'eh! It was better with the smaller tin of paint! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Didn't spot this first time round, looks nice and very similar to mine...
    20130609_120005_zps825ac763.jpg
    Similar to yours, mine is home built and tailored very much for me on my commute, it's 1x9, now running a Mosso fork in place of the Marin one fitted in the photo, weight before mudguards/pannier/rack is 9.5Kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Finished now!

Better fitting mud-guards, Suntour single chain-ring and front rack fitted.

Perfect for the six mile round trip to the shops. :D

Look Ok but you're not going to fit much meat on your butchers tray up front. T'wil be rather slim pickings at your BBQs. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem