Those bloody Christmas ads...

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,329
edited November 2013 in The bottom bracket
Wouldn't mind so much if it were all bike bits.

I think they should ban Christmas ads until 1 week before and whilst I am at it, ban all advertising to under 18's, directly or indirectly like they do in Sweden.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    It's capitalism mate :-)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I agree P, don't remember the adverts starting this bleedin early before, I love Christmas but at the start of November FFS :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    There was a 2 page article about xmas adverts in the Metro this morning.
    I had to turn the page quickly before it sent me mad.
  • dave02
    dave02 Posts: 325
    fun police alert 8)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,476
    He doesn't like them because he's getting hassled to spend money :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'm not that tight. The Little people are too small to have any conception of xmas.

Call me a miserable fecker, but I think Christmas should be on the 22nd to celebrate the Winter Solstice and the end of the shrinking days in a pagan ritual consisting of dancing naked women and lots of food and drink.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Just saw an advert for John Lewis, advertising their advert, which will be first screened tomorrow evening :shock:

Pretty shrewd really.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,476
    Call me a miserable fecker, but I think Christmas should be on the 22nd to celebrate the Winter Solstice and the end of the shrinking days in a pagan ritual consisting of dancing naked women and lots of food and drink.
    I'm with you on that one. Not that fussed about Christmas, too much family time for my liking...more naked women and drink would improve it no end.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mikey23
    I love Christmas but not the commercial nonsense that goes with it...

I will mention the more naked women thing to missus but I don't hold out much hope ...
  • Mikey23
    Cool, she said it is ok if she can keep her M&S onesie on...
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    Just saw an advert for John Lewis, advertising their advert, which will be first screened tomorrow evening :shock:

Pretty shrewd really.

You can already watch it online on their website, best Christmas advert ever 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'm not that tight. The Little people are too small to have any conception of xmas.

A perfectly good party ruined by the Church.
    Which is why the Scots pretty much used to ignore it and concentrate on Hogmanay. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I'm very much in the Bah Humbug camp
  • Mikey23
    And if you're a proper Methodist you don't get the drink either...
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    If you are Catholic, are you made to feel guilty? They make you feel either guilty or afraid of everything else.
  • That's me fecked then! I only seem to be allowed to watch nick jr or cbeebies if my son has anything to with it :roll: At least cbeenies has no ads :D
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • Scrooge is my hero , he had his priorities right but in the end sold out.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm with you, it's all a bit sad, especially advertising your own ad...large pat on the back for us clever fuckers please...

I have to say I thought JL were far too self-congratulatory last year, no doubt this year will be even worse. Luckily I've managed to avoid all Xmas ads so far by not watching telly.
  • joelsim
    Hmm, I didn't type 'idiots' in that last post, and not sure it works in that context. Ho ho ho hum.
  • arran77
    Hey Mods, if we're going to keep the annoying ads that feck up viewing the site can we at least have some Christmas ones please :P

seanoconn
  • Went into a local card shop yesterday - they were playing fecking Christmas songs. Made me feel right festive!!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I freaking LOVE christmas. But...

af51f963-e0ad-4d06-b5b5-4a41689aff81_zps01e494e8.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Slightly off topic, but I was in Clintons in Lancaster a few years ago and I kid you not, they were playing a song called:

Back Door Santa :lol:
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • joelsim
    Well Rosie Huntingdon-Whitely in her Alans is one benefit I guess
  • pinno
    What this barbie doll? e-gad no...

Rosie+Huntington+Whiteley+eER_YloRWNrm.jpg

Rosie+Huntington+Whiteley+Second+Annual+Baby2Baby+aAMmrSwe-mOl.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    seanoconn wrote:

Pretty shrewd really.

Saw that for the first time last night. Me, the wife and daughter sat there for what felt like 10 minutes saying 'what are they advertising?'
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Pretty shrewd really.

Saw that for the first time last night. Me, the wife and daughter sat there for what felt like 10 minutes saying 'what are they advertising?'

They paid £7m for that!! It was pointless (all it told me was that they sell alarm clocks), daft (a brown bear would be looking to gobble up a rabbit that size after hibernating) and utterly boring.

Can we start coming up with ideas for John Lewis' 2014 Xmas advert? Even if we undercut them at £6m, with a bit of creative thinking, I think we'd all get a brand new bike for Xmas FOC.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Saw my first "Visit Santa in his Grotty" on Saturday. Anyone taking their kid to one of those this early wants their bumps feeling, stupid stupid stupid. A kid that's young enough to get anything out of the experience is going to be asking where santa's got to for the next 6 weeks.

I always feel like lamping anyone that tells me "it won't be long you know". Yes it will ya feckwit, it's over a 1/12 of the year away!

The older I get, the better I was.

• The dog looks at the TV and goes bonkers!
    Giant TCR Composite 3
  • arran77
    izza wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Pretty shrewd really.

They paid £7m for that!! It was pointless (all it told me was that they sell alarm clocks), daft (a brown bear would be looking to gobble up a rabbit that size after hibernating) and utterly boring.

Can we start coming up with ideas for John Lewis' 2014 Xmas advert? Even if we undercut them at £6m, with a bit of creative thinking, I think we'd all get a brand new bike for Xmas FOC.

Yeah, but it's got you all talking about them which is kind of the point of advertising :wink:

seanoconn